The Feeling of Family

Start from the beginning

You got up and met them in the middle of the living room. "Oh my god. Look at you both!" you said, kissing them each on the cheek. "You know, we're meeting my parents, not going to win a modeling contract?"

"You can talk," Bucky said, his hand sliding up your side.

Steve chuckled. "You do look beautiful, sweetheart. Shall we?"

You nodded and the three of you went back outside to the car that was waiting for you. On the drive out to Rockford County, Bucky started to tense up and shift nervously in his seat. You reached over and took his hand. "You worried?"

Bucky nodded his head so subtly that you almost didn't catch it. "People don't usually like me right away."

You leaned into him and kissed the back of his hand. "I did."

Bucky didn't say anything, and you saw his brow furrow.

"Bucky. My parents raised me - and I did. They're good people. They know about us. They know about you. They just want me to be happy and they know that you and Steve make me happy. Please trust me," you said firmly.

"It's just..." Bucky started, but you cut him off.

"James. I know what you're feeling. But I need you to trust that I wouldn't do this to you if I wasn't sure."

His hands tightened around yours and he didn't fully relax for the entire drive.

You arrived at the two-story Colonial you grew up in and made your way up the front steps. Your parents opened the door even before you made it to the porch.

"There's our girl!" your father bellowed, dragging you into a bear hug.

"Hey, dad," You squeaked from within the warm confines of your father's arms.

"Now let's meet the men who are making my baby girl so happy," he said as he released you.

"Dad, mom. This is Captain Steven Rogers and Sergeant James Barnes," you said by way of introduction.

"Steve, please," Steve said, shaking your father's hand. He went to shake your mother's too but she pulled him into a tight hug.

"James," your father said, offering his hand to Bucky. Bucky shook it but didn't say anything.

You all went inside and introductions were made for the rest of your family. Your older brother and his wife and their twin sons. Your younger sister and her girlfriend. Steve was immediately set upon by the twins. They were beyond excited that you brought Captain America to their grandparents' house.

The conversation was loud and animated while dinner was being prepared. You helped your father to prepare everything while your mother set the table with your sister. Bucky stayed quiet during all of it. Steve remained near him, even as he was being used as a climbing tree by two three-year-olds, and he held a conversation with your brother and sister-in-law.

"James is quiet," your father said to you as he swept the tomatoes you'd been cutting into the salad bowl.

"He also has super hearing," you said, smiling at Bucky. Bucky looked up at you and gave you a half smile. "He's a little stressed. Sometimes his worst enemy is nazis. Sometimes it's his own head."

Your dad laughed gently. "I guess meeting the parents is stressful for anyone." He looked over to Bucky, when he spoke next he didn't raise his voice at all. He just spoke as if he was talking just to you. "There's nothing to worry about, son. We trust her and she says you're good people."

Both Bucky and Steve looked over and the warmest smile spreads across Steve's face. He put his arm around Bucky's shoulder and kissed him on the cheek.