21. "Apology of the year"

"What the hell is the matter with you JJ? Don't you ever speak to my cousin like that ever again!" Kiara shoved him before storming out herself

"What the hell is the matter with you JJ? Don't you ever speak to my cousin like that ever again!" Kiara shoved him before storming out herself. John B followed her.

Pope just shook his head as well and left leaving JJ alone, soaked, and full of emotions. He took off his drenched shirt and threw it aside still angry. But also angry with himself now.

"It's okay, John B. I'll find her." Kiara reassured him as he walked after her.

"Please just tell her that I'm here for her if she needs anything." He asked. He was scared for her. He could only imagine how she felt in this situation. She nodded sending him a small smile and headed off to her home where she desperately hoped to find her cousin.

When Blair stormed out her first instinct was to run for the sea. To dive in and swim miles away from everyone. To wash away her worry, her tears. But as soon as her toes were just inches from the water she froze. The thought of going in that water made her stomach turn. Who knows how many boats and nets and cameras were out there by now. Instead she ran for the next safe place she could think of. Where she could be left alone, and hide from the world. Her bedroom.

She sobbed under her sheets. Maybe JJ's words were right? Maybe she was stupid. Stupid for not thinking ahead. For not being careful enough. She let everything get to her and all she wanted to do was cry it out alone.

Kiara made her way home and right away gave a light knock on Blair's bedroom door. "B? It's Kiara, can I come in?"

There was no response. Kiara proceeded to softly open the door and found the room to be dark only the dim moonlight shining through the window. She could see her fully under her sheets in her bed. Kiara sat down beside her. Blair finally removed the sheets that covered her face revealing her tear stained cheeks.

"JJ's an ass. Don't listen to him." Kiara said laying back on the bed with her. "I'll kick his ass for you, don't worry."

Blair couldn't help but let out a small laugh. "Thanks"

"You really did do the right thing ya know. It's not your fault." Kiara said now turning to face her.

Blair frowned again. "Maybe I did. But I still can't help but think of how stupid I could be to let this happen."

"Well let's look at it this way. There's no way they know it's you right? I mean that had to have been the only footage they have or else your face would be plastered all over town." Kiara spoke.

"I guess that's true." Blair whispered.

"Yeah. All you gotta do is stay away from the water and there's no way they'll find anything. They'll give up at some point. They have to." Kiara boasted.

Blair felt a little better. She missed her talks with her cousin she always had the best advice for anything and everything.

"I hope so. I guess you're right." She weakly smiled.

"Always am" Kiara said and the girls laughed and talked a bit more before eventually both falling asleep.

~

"So that's the plan, just staying on the down low until they give up?" John B asked. He, Blair, Pope, and Kiara sat on the porch of the chateau.

Kiara nodded and Pope spoke as well. " You're right I guess they have to at some point. It's gonna look pretty dumb on them after not finding anything for awhile. Like how long can they even keep it up?"

"I honestly don't know. But I'm just gonna hope for the best." Blair drank the rest of her beer, which she normally didn't drink this early but found herself relying on it to ease the stress. John B watched her. He knew what she was doing and he didn't wanna let her get in over her head.

The group started discussing about a backup plan just in case, when footsteps were heard from behind the bunch. Their heads turned to see JJ leaning against the one of the tall beams of the porch.

Blair didn't want to speak to him. She honestly didn't know how to after last night. She got up and walked inside the chateau leaving them outside. JJ frowned watching her walk away.

There was an awkward silence for a moment before John B spoke up. "Dude, can you just talk to her? And apologize? This is stupid."

JJ didn't want to seem like he cared but he did

JJ didn't want to seem like he cared but he did. "Whatever" was all he said before walking into the house after her.

Blair stood in the kitchen cleaning up some empty cans and any trash she found.

JJ stood watching her before looking back and seeing John B, Pope, and Kiara walk off towards the beach.

She didn't notice his presence until he finally spoke.

"Sup" he simply said.

She just glanced at him and now swept the floor of the kitchen.

"Okay. I'm sorry for being an asshole. Just please talk to me." JJ walked closer now.

Blair stopped sweeping. "Apology of the year over here." She said sarcastically.

JJ let out a big sigh. "Look, you wanna know why I was so pissed off?" She looked at him as he stepped close again.

"You're my best friend. I care about you. And you don't know how much it pisses me off that this shit is cause of Rafe of all people?" He said.

Blair shook her head

Blair shook her head. "It's not entirely his fault. I should've been more careful."

"Nah you'd think he'd be thankful and happy to be alive instead of drowning out there. But instead he goes and digs into shit that only benefits himself." JJ went on. "It kills me that there's people out there now that're looking for you and there's nothing we can do to stop it."

He ran a hand through his hair sitting down at the counter. Blair walked around and sat beside him. "I get it. I know you're just scared. We all are. But like Kie said, they have no way in proving it's me that was out there so. I think we'll be okay." She said sending him a small smile.

JJ looked at her and sent a small smile back. "Thanks for not being pissed at me." They hugged each other for a moment. "I really was just scared. I don't know what I'd do without my best friend." He said in a low voice. She gave him one more squeeze before they pulled apart and joined their friends playing volley ball on the beach.

~~~