~ Chapter 13 ~

"You must tell me everything!" Delphine shrieked as they walked up the staircase together.

"What do you mean?" Belle asked confused.

"With you and the Prince of course!" She whispered, Isabelle grateful she didn't shout.

"There's nothing between me and Nicholas..." She spoke the words but didn't feel them to be true.

"On first name basis...are we?" Delphine teased.

There was something between her and Nicholas. An eternal fire that has been sparked but has not grown. Not until the West Wing when he had kissed her...

"There's nothing going on between us..." She repeated.

He was confusing. Leaving when she felt they were connecting, leaving when they kissed...just leaving in general. How was she supposed to know his true feelings when the Prince was hot and cold all the time?

"Oh I don't believe that for a second!" Delphine exclaimed. "I seen the way he looked at you when you walked through the door. Trust me, there is something there!"

Isabelle did not want to talk about the Prince any longer, grateful when they make it to their father's chambers. The topic changing as soon as she seen the old man sitting at a desk working on a project.

"Papa!" Delphine ran over to him, hugging him while crying.

"Delphine! What are you doing here!?" Richard asked surprised, stopping work on his project immediately.

Repeating her story of Johnathan leaving her and Margaret abandoning her. Which was unlike her sister, Isabelle thought. The twins have been inseparable since birth and usually have each other's back. She wondered what had changed?

Isabelle left the two to reconcile, returning downstairs. The roses she had picked had survived Delphine's bear hug and needed to be placed in water before they wilted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Julius sat in the tavern, the place that has become his second home. Drinking his life away day by day, thinking of multiple ways to get Belle to marry him. He would not settle for anyone else.

Over the past few weeks, women have thrown themselves at him left, right and centre. Not one of them catching his eyes the way Isabelle Thorne had. Being the most handsome and wanted man in Athelon, he must have the most beautiful and stunning wife by his side. Nothing less.

Julius dreamt of their future together - children running around the house, Isabelle cooking and cleaning, and Julius himself would hunt and work to provide for their family. Returning home from a long day to Isabelle fulfilling his every want and need.

It would be perfect and they would be happy together. Why couldn't Belle see that herself? The girl may read books and be beautiful but she wasn't the brightest or smartest. Her head always in a damn fairytale of sorts. Julius ordered another ale, someone joining him at his table.

"Julius? We've noticed you have been down. What's wrong buddy?"  The old bearded man asked.

"I love a woman who doesn't love me.l back." He admitted. "How can anyone say no to me? Julius Black?"

"Everyone knows you are the most wanted man in Athelon!" He chuckled. "Who might this woman be that has your heart?"

"Isabelle Thorne..." Julius sighed.

The old man looked at him, no humour on his face. "Ah...I see. The girl with the books."

"The girl with the books..." He repeated his words.

"Don't give up on yourself Julius. You still could have a chance with her." The old man tried to give him hope.

Julius raised his mug to the man's words, drowning his sorrows with more ale.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nicholas walked around the castle, taking in the sight of everything in a new light. Belle's touch was refreshing, just like her and her father's company. Wishing Delphine didn't talk so much, his ears hurting after the journey home.

Wandering mindlessly, the Prince found himself standing in the library where he found he was not alone. Isabelle sat on the window seat, a book in her hand, distracted by the story as he stood there unnoticed. The sight filled him with joy, and he wanted to leave without disturbing her. Turning on his heel, the Prince started to walk away.

"Nicholas?" Belle spoke softly. "Please don't leave. Not again..."

This made him stop. She wanted him to stay? He faced Isabelle again taken aback by her words. She stood a few metres away from him. The book no longer in her hands.

"You... You want me to stay?"  He asked quietly.

She didn't answer. Instead Isabelle grabbed his hand gently, leading him to the seat. He didn't dare speak a word, afraid he would ruin the moment saying something stupid.

They sat in silence, enjoying each other's company. Neither wanting to interrupt the peace. But the Prince had an idea, picking up the book and began reading the page she had marked.

"Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight! For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night."

Shakespeare. Romeo and Juliet. He was surprised by her choice of reading. Shakespeare not acknowledged enough for his work.

Belle stared up at him with her brown doe eyes and he continued to read until he could no longer contain himself. Putting the book down, Nicholas leant forward pressing his lips to Belle's. Her lips trembled slightly, running her hand through his hair. He growled. He needed to feel her lips against his once more.

They stayed tangled in each other's arms, lips never parting. She made him feel alive after feeling dead for so long. Forgetting what it felt like after his parents died.

Belle pulled away, breathing heavily. He wanted nothing more than to ask for her hand in marriage right there and then, but he knew deep down she did not love him. How could anyone love him?