Chapter 2- A strange invitation

Melissa had practically forgotten about her strange encounter at the beach by the time she arrived back from her holiday. She hadn't even mentioned it to Hermione at the time, despite her curiosity.

"Melissa, I'm taking Muffin for a walk. Are you coming with me?" Hermione called up the stairs to her sister, who was sat in her room. Melissa jumped up.

"Yes!" she declared. Melissa loved walking her dog, and she wasn't going to let Hermione go without her. She pulled on some shoes and ran down the stairs to where Hermione was struggling with their dog's lead.

"I'll do it." Melissa offered. Hermione passed her the lead with a frown.

"Muffin, sit!" Melissa ordered. The dog immediately sat on the floor, his tail wagging furiously. She fastened the lead to the dog's collar and stood up.

"Ready?" she asked Hermione.

"Of course." Hermione said, opening the door and stepping out. Melissa walked the dog down the path and was ready to take him on their usual walk, but Hermione grabbed her arm.

"Let's go through the forest." she grinned.

"Are you sure? It might be dangerous in there." Melissa said hesitantly. She had been in before, and it wasn't that bad, but Muffin would probably get frightened.

"Don't be pathetic. It'll be fine." Hermione shrugged, walking down the path. Melissa sighed and tugged Muffin's lead gently.

"C'mon boy." she smiled, leading the small dog into the darkness in the trees.

"Are you excited for High School?" Hermione asked Melissa as they walked. Melissa sighed.

"I'm not sure. Everyone will be older than us, and there could be some mean people. Plus we're leaving our old friends behind." Melissa shrugged.

"They weren't that great anyway. Most people thought I was a know-it-all and you were only friends with my friends." Hermione declared.

"We're twins. Aren't we meant to have the same friends?" Melissa asked.

"You don't have to hang around my friends all the time you know." Hermione stated. Melissa breathed out heavily.

"I'm not that good at making friends." she admitted.

"I know. But High School will be a good place for you to learn how to." Hermione told her. Melissa ignored her and lead Muffin through the trees.

"Hermione, hold Muffin please. He's pooped." Melissa wrinkled her nose.

"Ugh, you can deal with that." Hermione cringed. Melissa grabbed a poop bag out of her pocket and picked it up. Hermione always refused to, but Melissa didn't really mind.

"We should get back now." Melissa announced. Hermione nodded and walked the dog out of the forest.

"It wasn't scary at all, see?" Hermione said as they walked back into the street.

"I was worried that Muffin would be scared." Melissa stated honestly.

"You aren't exactly brave though, are you?" Hermione decided.

"I never said I was." Melissa shrugged.

"Do you want to go to the park?" Hermione asked. Melissa contemplated the idea.

"I guess. We need to take Muffin back first." she said. Hermione nodded as they walked back to their house.

"Ah, girls. There's someone here to see you." their Mum said as soon as they stepped through the door. Melissa peered into the living room nervously and saw an older woman dressed in an emerald green robe, with her grey hair in a tight bun. Melissa gulped. She didn't recognise the woman, and she looked rather intimidating. Melissa slipped her trainers off and stepped nervously into the living room, Hermione right behind her.