Chapter 13: Dinner with papa

Start from the beginning

"Μια χαρά."

Ezra had some idea of what they were saying. Ever since Ezra and Stavros had developed a close relationship due to working together, Colby had made an effort to pick up small parts of the Greek language. Stavros became a frequent visitor to their apartment or sometimes they'd go round to Stavros' apartment instead. Each time they met, Colby tried to say something new. It began with Colby simply learning the Greek alphabet, then learning the pronunciations of it. He'd spent many a night watching YouTube videos and suing free apps to pick it up. He would tell Ezra what he found out as well: "Look, Ezra. This letter looks like a B but it's actually pronounced like a V." Ezra would nod his head, pretend he understood and say: "That's nice, babe."

Maybe Ezra should've paid more attention to Colby's little Greek lessons. Now the pair chatted away in Greek. Nothing complex, just asking how are you and replying with things like fine and good. Even Ezra knew how to say hello, or at least he was pretty sure he did.

Stavros came into the dining room and waved at Ezra from across the kitchen island.

"Ya su." He tried.

Colby cringed and Stavros laughed at him.

"Almost," said Stavros encouragingly. He was well dressed for the evening. It wasn't often Stavros dressed for fashion over comfort, so Ezra appreciated the effort. He was wearing a white button up shirt, black trousers with dark brown loafers. His thick curly was held back by a thin black headband. He had a grocery bag in his left hand that he placed on the dining table. "That smells divine. What's on the menu?"

"Roast lamb." Ezra told him.

"Fantastic."

Ezra began to plate up the food as Colby and Stavros sat at the dining table. They chatted away about all sorts. Sometimes Colby would attempt some Greek to which Stavros would either reply or correct him. Ezra was amazed at how quickly Colby was picking it up, it sounded like a nightmare language. Come on, a whole different alphabet, grammar rules that would take a lifetime to wrap his head around, around eighteen different ways to say 'the'. Maybe if Ezra had more time outside of his job he'd take the time to learn Greek. However, Stavros could speak amazing English whilst having a more demanding job than Ezra... was Ezra just lazy?

He carried over the plates of food and placed them around the table. The table was already set with cutlery, place mats and wine glasses. Ezra also took the time to light the candles in the centre of the table. Stavros then revealed what he had in his little grocery bag. He pulled out a bottle of red wine, uncorked it and poured a glass for everyone.

Colby took a small sip and nodded his head. "That's really nice. Ευχαριστώ."

"What was that?" Asked Colby.

"Ευχαριστώ," Colby repeated slower this time, "efaristo. It means thank you."

Stavros smiled and nodded his head in approval. "I'm going to steal your boyfriend if you're not careful, Ezra."

Ezra brought over the last thing for the table, a jug of gravy. He poured it over his own meal before passing it to Colby who passed it to Stavros. "You're too old for him," said Ezra, "also it's not boyfriend. It's fiancé." He held up his hand with the engagement ring on to emphasise the point.

"It's not too old if you try hard enough." Stavros picked up his knife and fork and began to tuck into his meal. "I actually found out how old my lover boy is."

"Is this guy from the club Ezra was telling me about?" Colby asked, Stavros nodded his head. "I can't believe you were there that night, I wish we'd seen you. What's he like then, the guy you picked up?"