Simple Letters

Simple Letters

Chapter 1

All I expected was a reply from my cousin telling me how stupid I was for thinking like that. I never expected to receive a letter from a stranger and end up falling for him. You probably think I’m crazy rambling on about this. Well the truth is that it all began with a terrible break up.

‘Dear April, You probably think I’m crazy or dumb for thinking like this, but I’m planning on doing suicide. Why you might be wondering? Well, you know Leo, my boyfriend, well ex now. But I want to die. You’re the only person who will know why. Please take care. I plan on hanging myself in a week. Please reply asap. Your wise voice is the last one I want to hear. Sincerely Tina.’

A tear slipped onto the letter. I tried my best to dry my eyes.

My hand began to shake as I slowly folded the paper. My stomach burned as I placed it into an envelope.  My heart dropped as I placed the letter into the mail box.

Now all I have to do is live for 7 long endless days.

Day one was terrible, my mother screamed and hit me for getting bad marks on my report card. The next day was quiet, I spent the day crying. The third day I studied hard for a test with my parents watching me intently. The fourth day I began to plan out my death. The fifth day I knew exactly what to do. On the sixth day I began to get ready. On the seventh day, a reply came.

I looked at the envelope, the return address look unfamiliar.

“This isn’t April’s address,” I pondered to myself. I read the name, Ethan Park. Do I know him? Wait. That’s not April!

I quickly tore open the envelope.

‘Dear Tina. Don’t do it. Your life is a wonderful gift given to you from the lord himself. I know I have no right to tell you what to do, especially since I got your letter by mistake. But please. God gave you legs so you can move on and keep walking forward. Don’t throw your life away for a boy. I don’t know how old you are but you have your whole life ahead of you. If you were to die, there will be someone missing you. I’ll miss you. I pray this letter gets to you before the week is over. Please live, for me, a complete stranger, a stranger who cares. Sincerely Ethan.’

My chest began to throb. My eyes began to sting, I gripped the letter tightly.

I never met you Ethan, but I will live. Thank you so much.

I gently folded up the letter and placed it into my desk.

Whoever this Ethan Park maybe, he can create miracles. He managed to save my life. I need to thank him for that. I quickly grabbed another piece of paper and began to write in my best handwriting.

‘Dear Ethan, You’re right. What was I thinking? It really was a stupid thought. Thank you for opening my eyes. Your simple words saved my life, I can’t thank you enough. I will live, I’ll live for you. As long as I know there is someone there, no matter who it may be, who has my back, I know I have the strength to move on. But I apologize for sending you that pathetic letter but I truly am glad that it was you who got it. I don’t mean to sound straightforward but please tell me if you ever have any troubles. I would be more than happy to help you. Thank you again. Sincerely, Tina’

I smiled as I checked the letter before folding it up. I placed it into an envelope. I looked at the envelope he had sent me. I copied down the address onto the envelope. I placed a stamp on before running out of my house to send it.

It was from then on I would wait eagerly for his letters.