Chapter Fifty Seven

Start from the beginning

The show on the PC behind her stopped loading and started playing again, she turned to click pause on the telenovela she was watching, title in Spanish and a sobbing woman unfortunately paused mid-wince, and then turned back to look at me.

"What favour?"

[Max's POV]

Despite the sinisterly flat expression he wore for about half a minute, Weston scoffed and then started laughing, which frankly wasn't the reaction I expected but it was better than the alternative given where we were.

I frowned but began to push past him. I was worried. Thing is, Weston was a bit grating when he was angry at people, while I was direct in insulting them Weston used to take a different route. He laughed at them. And in my case I'd always been rather helplessly frustrated when it began, the howling laughter. 

"Where are you going?" He asked, still laughing as he reached out and grabbed my arm, a familiar touch.

Familiar mostly because it reminded me so much of the time he'd been angry at me breaking his CD player and insisting I would replace it with mine which, admittedly, was a  lot cheaper. I'd left when he started laughing at me and he'd grabbed my arm in the hallway, only the way that situation ended would never repeat itself even slightly.

"Weston, you know I hate it when you laugh at me."

"I do." A flicker of seriousness entered his eyes again.

"I'm not joking." I told him in all earnest.

He raised a brow, examining my face, tried and failed to hold back a snicker. "Come on..."

"I'm sorry your relationship with James didn't work out. You dated him for two years now."

"Two years and four months." He clarified, an edge to his voice.

I sighed. "Yes, and in that time you must have liked him. He saw someone going behind his back, flirting-"

"I-"

"You were." I snapped. "I'm not daft, neither is he. You say things bluntly then deny it ever happened, Weston, it's bloody frustrating with you."

The tick of annoyance in his jaw was honestly a relief to see, but he adjusted his expression carefully. "Max, I was drunk, if I sounded flirtatious that might just have been your ego talking."

I scoffed. "You kissed me."

"I didn't kiss you until after I was suddenly apparently single!" His face was turning red.

"You kissed me." I repeated flatly.

"And are you pleased that your wonderful specimen of a teenager punched me in the jaw for it? Like a criminal, which I suppose he is, I suppose you like that kind of thing then?"

"You don't-"

"Keep in mind, Maxwell," His use of my full name suddenly felt strange now. "That I could easily have reported him, I could still now."

I eyed him down carefully, realising his hand was still wrapped around my arm, I yanked my arm back. "That alley had no cameras," I hoped it didn't, I had no idea if it did. "It was late at night, no one saw, and you never reported it when it happened-"

Weston opened his mouth to reply but I didn't stop.

"And you're an ex boyfriend of the perpetrators current partner. How do you think that will look to the police?"