1 || An Unfortunate Girl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Maple leaves always come around the right times don't they?"

There was a breeze in the air and it ruffled the red leaves of the tree that forever remained in the center of Ritou. It was the time of year when the maple leaves all turned into lovely shades of reds, oranges, and yellows. Usually, this would be the city's favorite time of year, after the blooming of Sakura blossoms, but to Y/n, it would always be one of her least favorite times.

"Maple leaves are bad omens..." the girl sighed.

"Hey now, no need to be so negative." a male chuckled next to her.

Y/n looked over to her companion who was cheerfully enjoying the view of leaves in the wind. She and the detective had always been good friends. After all, he was the first person she met when her mother brought her to Inazuma.

With a sigh, she turned and began walking back to Konda Village, the place she and her mother had settled down. The detective quickly followed after her, teasing her along the way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Bye, Y/n! I'll see you tomorrow!" Heizou waved. He was headed back to the police station only because Y/n had pestered him into actually doing his job.

Y/n nodded and opened the door to her house, announcing that she had returned home. There was only loud coughing from her mother's room in response. When entering the room, Y/n took the chance to look around. The room was messy and unkempt, pills and medicine bottles were scattered on the floor, and her sickly mother rested on her futon.

Y/n frowned and knelt beside her mother. "Have you taken your medicine yet, Mom?"

Her mother shook her head, explaining that she was running out and how she had decided to lower the amount she took each day.

"Mom, you have to take the recommended amount!"

"We don't have the money to get more medicine, Y/n! You know how expensive everything is right now because of the Vision hunt decree!"

"That doesn't mean you can stop taking your medicine like you're supposed to and let yourself slowly die!"

"Y/n, listen to me. Whatever little amount of mora we have, will be for you, when I am gone. Don't worry about me."

Tears welled up in Y/n's eyes and her mother gently patted her daughter's head. Right before Y/n left the room, she stubbornly responded that she would get the medicine for her mother despite her attempts to stop her. The woman tried to stand up and forbid her daughter from doing so, but with her frail body, she was unable to do anything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm sorry, Y/n. The medicine has run out, but I'm pretty sure there should be more coming in soon at the docks."

"Oh, really? I'll go ask Kageyama then. Thanks!"

Since she had only just returned from Ritou, Y/n decided to wait until the next morning to go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Y/n and Heizou left for Ritou as they always liked to do. No matter how many times Y/n tried to persuade Heizou to do his work and actually show up at the police station instead of her house every morning, the detective would shrug and make an excuse.

Upon reaching Ritou, Heizou was pulled away by a few people asking him for help on a case. Y/n sighed and went to ask about the whereabouts of the medicine her mother needed.

"Kageyama! Good morning! How are you?"

"Ah, Y/n. It's good to see you. I've been the same as always, taking care of everything right here on the docks."

The h/c haired girl chuckled. "Of course. Uhm, I came today to ask if any new medicine had come in yet."

"The one for your mother, right? I think the Crux fleet was bringing it in from Liyue. They haven't arrived yet, but they should be here soon."

"Oh? Well, then do you need any help? Anything I can do until they arrive?"

"Here. I don't think this should be too much work for you. You just have to greet the people that arrive, help with any boxes, and give out instructions if needed."

Y/n gave the okay symbol and left to the first ship on the list Kageyama had given her.

'Today's going to be another long day...'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Whoo! One chapter done! I'm actually proud of what I wrote for once. Anyways I'm going to try and post daily if I can... Lemme know what you think so far! <3