Chapter 6: The nerd is gone

[Chris]

One fucking week. 

That was how long had passed since the incident at the diner. That was how long I had not seen the poor nerd and one fucking week of sleepless nights for me.

I couldn't help it. The last look she gave me before walking away will forever remain in my memories. Her eyes, those blue eyes full of despair, sadness, disappointment, pain, anger, and helplessness would haunt me for the rest of my life.

We hadn't had a plan to go to that diner that night. We were at the area that night by chance and decided to stop there for dinner. We had once gone there at the start of the summer and I can swear she was not working there at that time. 

Okay, I should admit maybe I went too far. I never meant for her to get fired. I didn't expect her boss to be that short temper. I mean accidents like that happen all time, right? She must have caused too many problems for her boss to be fired. At least that was what I kept telling myself.

When she didn't come to school the next day, I didn't look too much into it. But as the days passed and she didn't show up again, that was when I began to wonder about the reason for her absence. That was when I began to look around in corridors and classes for her.

It was only a job. I knew they were poor but losing a part-time job wouldn't harm her in any way, would it? Her parents would pay for her. It was not like she spent too much money on herself. Her clothes were all old and she never put on makeup or showed up at parties or any teenage activities.

But her eyes that night when she looked at me after her boss fired her will be the death of me. I couldn't sleep since then. Whenever I would close my eyes I could see her eyes. She even didn't fucking curse. She didn't need to in fact. The way she looked at me like I'm the worst person ever was enough to shake my ego and soul.

Now it was the Monday of the next week and she was not in AP calculus again. She was a nerd. It was too odd for her to not show up and it was bugging me like crazy. I didn't approach her friends to ask about her. The way they both, especially that dumbass, Miller, would glare daggers at me was enough for me to know they knew about what had happened.

I didn't know why I was caring that much. She was no one to me. I despised her existence. She was only the poor nerd for me. But still, there was this fucking nagging feeling inside of my head to get news of her, to at least know how she was.

And here I fucking was. Standing in front of the principal's office in my free period, kicking myself in my head. I never was here willingly, only when I had caused trouble. 

Fuck my damn conscious ... 

"Mr. Harrington."

I turned and saw Sarah, the secretory walking my way. She was a young woman and had saved my ass a few times. She was beautiful and quite clever and was one of the few people in this hell hole that I didn't hate.

"What are you doing here? In trouble again?" she asked while opening the door of the office and walking to her desk. 

"No, um," I said and followed her inside. I stood in front of her desk and fidgeted on my feet not knowing what to say. Why the fuck was I there? I couldn't just ask where she was. What about my reputation? 

Sarah raised her eyebrows and looked at me exceptantly. "Well?" she asked patiently.

"I, um, I'm here to report a student absence." I blurted out of nowhere and did my best to not cringe at my pathetic response. "Yes, I'm here to report someone's absence. She had not appeared in any of our classes since last Monday."