xi: DAWN

chapter 11

[word count: 5.2k]

[please do comment and vote!!]

The scene was almost picturesque

A young girl was staring out the window, the sunset illuminating the outline of her figure in a rich glow that made her even godlier.

She didn't dare count the days she did this — longingly searching the world from this little window seat in a lovely house in Trost. She could only watch the seasons change through this small opening. Never should she step out the door nor play with the children no matter how tempting it was, was what her caretaker told her. But she wanted to stay that way — to hide from watchful eyes. She was thankful for whoever took her in. It was an act of kindness that she couldn't easily repay.

The sound of footsteps made her look away from the street below. She didn't turn her body to face the owner of that familiar sound but her posture showed that she was awaiting their arrival.

"I'm home," a gentle voice came from the doorway of her room. The woman was probably one of the most compassionate people in the Walls. Her aura was unconditionally maternal and it made the young girl recoil. The woman tried and tried again to get the girl to come out of her shell but it seemed like she wasn't going to any time soon. "A stall from the marketplace has your favorite fruit. I cut one and thought you would like to have them before dinner."

The girl finally turned and gave way to a pair of bright golden eyes.

She tried smiling a little. The gesture warmed her heart and it would be rude of her to dismiss it. "Thank you, Antheia."

Antheia returned the smile before entering the girl's room. It was still barren from treasured belongings as if the girl didn't have any plans on claiming the room as hers even though it was given to her two years ago. Antheia prevented a sigh. She still wanted the girl to treat this place as a home. However, what happened in Shiganshina deeply wounded her, both physically and mentally. Antheia wouldn't force the young girl to adjust here even if it would take her a decade. The woman placed the saucer of cut and peeled apples on the cushion of the window seat. "Here you go, little one." She then placed a gentle hand on the top of the girl's head. "Just come down when dinner's ready, alright? I'll call for you."

The young golden-eyed girl nodded. She watched her caretaker walk toward the door.

"I'll always wait for you, little one. Take all the time you need to come down, okay?"

Her eyes widened at the question. The woman was now out of her view but she still stared at the space where the caretaker paused to utter the words. The girl slowly brought her gaze down to the sliced apples. Picking one up, she chewed on it her mind running rampant with thoughts.

The sunset was now bringing the world into twilight. Tiny sniffs were all that were heard inside the empty room. Twinkling tears trickled down and created patterns on the girl's lap as she ate each apple slice. Her soft sobs were being carried by the breeze that caressed her face, its fingers the sheer curtains drifting from the gush of air coming from outside. There was no reason for her to cry. She was saved from the fate that was bestowed on the people of Shiganshina — one that her loved ones suffered. But that horrible thought of her alive, while everyone else was dead, was the one responsible for the endless stream of tears.