Chapter 10: The Phone Call

Author's Note: My life is a living hell. I'm gonna kms. I'm no longer Lola, I'm Rachel Thompson from Kansas.

Clara walked through the front door of her home when she spotted her mom, waiting for her. "I'm so sorry, mom. Last night-"

"I know." Karen cut off her daughter. "Steve called me and told me about what happened."

Clara pursed her lips at her mother's words. "Are you mad at me?"

"No." Karen shook her head. "I'm just glad you're safe."

The two smiled at each other before Karen spoke again. "Please don't tell me you slept with your sister's boyfriend."

"No! No! No!" Clara shouted. "We're just friends. He was helping me out like a friend."

...

Before Clara left Steve's house, he told her that he was planning on talking to Nancy. He didn't say any specific time but after she saw Nancy and she sped back to class, she guessed he did it.

Clara made her way to Steve's class at the time, gym. She knew he was in that class because of the time he showed her his classes and complained about most of them. She had a decent memory to say the least.

Clara walked through the open gym doors and saw Steve in the gym playing Basketball. He was all sweaty, the sweat started to show through his gray t-shirt. She stood on the sidelines of the game, debating whether or not she should talk to Steve at the time but her mouth worked before her brain could. "Steve."

With the call of his name, he noticed Clara. He was saddened after his talk with Nancy but seeing Clara made him feel slightly better. He knew he would dread talking about Nancy but he knew he would enjoy looking at Clara while he did so.

"Wow, Harrington's got all the ladies today." Billy remarked, his gaze moving to Clara. "Hey doll."

Clara rolled her eyes and waited for Steve to meet up with her. He quickly left the game and let the other players play without him. The two walked among the sidelines of the game before making their way outside. Steve lead her over to the place where he spoke with Nancy since it was a private place to talk.

"Hey. How'd it go?" Clara finally asked.

"Not so good." Steve sighed. "I asked her if she loved me and she couldn't even say it. She couldn't even say she loved me."

Clara's face softened at his words. She felt bad for him. She knew how much he loved Nancy. "Steve-"

"It's fine." He assured her quickly before she could say anything else. "As you said, I just need to find the right person. Nancy isn't the one for me I guess."

Clara didn't bother to say anything. She just wrapped her arms around him and pulled him close to her.

She knew what it was like to go through a heartbreak. She experienced it too many times. It hurt like a bitch.

Steve didn't hesitate to hug her back. He held her tightly, almost suffocating her in the process. She would've made a joke but she didn't think it was a good time.

Being in his arms felt peaceful to Clara. She felt like the world around them didn't mean anything. She felt safe, not having to worry about what's going on in the world.

After a minute, they started to get disgusted looks their way. They pulled away from one another when Clara noticed Steve has been crying. During the hug, he had let himself go. A tear ran down his cheek, making Clara feel more bad for him.

Clara cupped her hands on his face and caressed each of his cheeks with her thumbs. "Hey. This could be good for you. Don't think about it much. Think about what other good things you have in life."