Chapter 17: No One To Hold Me

Start from the beginning

"Yeah." I said with a sad laugh. "You used to be the freest person I had ever met. You were never ashamed of your emotions, or being vulnerable or scared and then one day you just..."

"That must have been hard." He told me apologetically.

"It was." I continued, locking my eyes onto his now. "But it also showed me just how pure our love was because through all your changes, I didn't love you any less."

"Unconditional love is like that." He looked at me with eyes carrying such hurt and I realised how our situations mirrored now.

"What a turn of the tables. Now I'm the closed off one and you're trying to get me to open up." I muttered with a tearful laugh.

"Blossom, I just want you to be okay." He told me. "And I know you're not."

"You know, one of the hardest parts of not having you is no one to hold me." I confessed to his shock. "Not when I'm upset, or happy or when I sleep—"

Wordlessly, Nik spun me around until my back was resting against his chest. His hands anchored themselves to my waist like he would never let go of me ever again and even though I knew it was momentary, I let myself believe it was true.

"Or when I dance." I released a peaceful sigh as I buried myself in his embrace. His cheek nuzzled against the top of my head and I smiled at the familiar feel of him. "You're the only person who has ever really known how to hold me."

"You're the only person who deserves to be held like this."

As we danced to the song in silence, I knew my strong exterior was crumbling. And if he kept holding me like this, I would never be able to let go. But it felt like if he let go it would kill me.

"Do you remember the last time I held you like this?" He whispered; I shook my head as memories of my past life presented themselves half complete. "It was the day you left. We were stood in the bathroom and you kissed me. And you pulled away with this grin and I knew you were up to something. And I realised I would always know you."

The memory came back to the forefront and though happy memories were coming to his mind, I remembered the reality of it.

"I told you I had to leave and you didn't listen to me." I muttered, the anger building up at a rapid pace. I took myself out of his grip and turned to his confused face with an angry glower. "You didn't listen—you never listen!"

"Fiore—"

"You should never have come to find me in the first place." I snapped. "I tried to make this one sacrifice—do this one thing for our family—and you jeopardised it all and for what? Because you missed me?"

"Blossom—"

"DON'T CALL ME THAT!"

All eyes were on us now and I knew I was causing too much of a scene, but I also would be able to get my anger under control. So I turned and walked out of the party, stalking all the way to the front steps. I was only sat there for five short minutes when my peace was inevitably disturbed.

"Jean was worried about you." Nik said as he stood behind me.

"Please don't talk to me." I told him in exasperation.

"Fine."

I almost exhaled a breath of relief, but I would have been wrong to as he immediately sat down beside me.

"What are you doing?" He mimed zipping his mouth shut and it felt like my blood was going to boil out of my body. "Are you serious? You're acting like a child."

"No, I'm obeying orders." He shot back. "Because you seemingly don't want a husband but rather a humble servant."

"I don't want either of those things, I want you to leave."