Chapter 16: A Breakup Is Not a Death

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"You know, for someone who claims to not have feelings for me anymore, your jealousy just then was incredibly suspicious." He teased with a smirk.

"My temper's a lot shorter these days." I replied, unwilling to give him the satisfaction.

"You've somehow got even better at lying and you were quite talented before." He remarked and I simply rolled my eyes at him. That was when I caught the name on his tag.

"Your name is not Harvey." I told him in confusion.

"According to this name tag it is." He replied confidently.

I eyed mine and realised it said Donna and was unable to stifle my laughter in time. "Really?"

"Really." He said with a grin. "Harvey Spectre, and his insanely sexy wife Donna...I forget her last name but you get the point."

"What's wrong with Fiore and Klaus?"

"Oh a multitude of things but chiefly, they cannot be together." Nik answered with saddened eyes. "But Harvey and Donna can."

"Why those two?"

"Because I remember your attraction to him and after a tumultuous qrelationship, he and Donna find their way back to each other."

His fingers were now interlocked with mine and his beautiful blue eyes were staring back at mine, almost daring me to take him back. But I couldn't.

"You should've gone with Harvey and Scottie." I murmured mournfully as I took my hand out of his.

"I don't understand that reference, but I think it's clear that I wouldn't want to anyway." He told me with a bitter laugh.

I hated that I was hurting him. I knew I would be, which is why I had tried so hard to stay away. This was never going to be easy, made only harder by him having to confront the reality that who I was then, is not who I am now.

"This was a mistake, Klaus." I told him with a weak sigh. "I should go before Anastasia notices I'm gone, and you should go home."

"No." He said definitively. "You promised me a night and I will have it."

"But—"

"You wouldn't have come at all if you didn't want to be here." He insisted. "So trust in me. For just once, Fiore, trust in me."

He was steadfast and unwavering, final giving me the chance to be vulnerable and wavering for the first time in a long time.

"Okay Harvey. One night." I said with a soft smile that he returned.

"Good." He cleared his throat and surveyed the party. "Now may I have this dance?"

"Absolutely not." I rejected, knowing that was definitely a recipe for disaster. "But...I will let you get me a drink."

He turned to me with a smirk as he answered. "One rum and coke coming right up."

I laughed as he made his way to the drinks table and then took a moment to examine the crowd. Since being confined to Anastasia's hovel, I had taken up people watching, imagining the lives they led in place of having my own life to live.

The residents of Wooden Oaks Retirement Home seemed to be in high spirits today. I presume parties were a rarity here and so it was nice to take in some levity. The guests drank and sang and danced and lived life to the fullest.

"Now what is a pretty young thing like you doing here?" I turned to see one of the residents hunched over beside me and leering at my chest.

"Ew." I muttered in disgust, not in the mood to be fending off senile sex pests. "I'd tell you where my eyes are, but I much rather you just left."