Chapter 89: A break in the clouds

Authors note: Just in case you haven't cried at any part of this story so far... Here's another chapter to try and force a tear out of you. lol

He felt the chill of the icy wind across his skin; the feeling was nothing new to him, but he shivered regardless. His whole body hurt when he shuddered, and he found he couldn't move his arms. The pain he woke up to was excruciating, but he'd been in pain for most of his life, so he was used to it by now.

However, the voices he heard around him were new. They sounded young, but they weren't children like he was. He opened his eyes and the voices stopped. He blinked and four figures came into focus.

There was a girl with a pink hat, another with a longbow, and two boys. One was hugging the girl with the bow while the other, who had green hair, was kneeling over him. They all looked tired and were covered in blood.

Tenko tried to sit up, but his arms screamed at him. He couldn't move. Tears started pooling in his eyes; he thought he was dead, but death shouldn't hurt like this. What had happened to the man outside the city who had said he would help him?

"Whe-where am I?" He tried to ask. His voice sounded strange to him; it was deeper than he remembered. "Where's that man?"

The green haired boy looked over at the others and they all came to stand over him. They looked puzzled.

"What's your name?" The green haired boy asked.

"Shimura, Tenko Shimura."

"Shimura?" The other boy asked. He looked angry but the girl with the bow put her hand gently on his shoulder and he seemed to calm down. He folded his arms and she spoke instead.

"What is the last thing you remember Tenko?"

"I... I was dying. I left the city; my mother died, and I was going to join her. But that man held out his hand... That's all I remember."

The boy with the green hair looked at the girl with the bow and they shared a sad expression before the boy turned to smile at him. He hated it when people looked at him like that, with their eyes full of pity, and smiles that tried to be sympathetic. It made his skin itch. He wanted to scratch it, but he couldn't lift his arms.

"It's okay Tenko, you're safe now."

"That's what he said too. I don't need your pity. I just want to see my mother again." He turned his head to the side, dismissing the sickening smile of the green haired boy. "Just let me die."

"But..."

"It's okay Izuku, leave it to me. Sometimes saving people doesn't mean sparing their life." It was the girl with the bow who had spoken.

A shadow passed over his face and he looked up to see the girl with dark blue eyes kneeling over him instead. She wasn't smiling in that patronising way; her face was serene, and her voice sounded calm. He realized the itching had stopped as he looked into her eyes. He felt like he was looking at the angel of death again, only this time he truly felt at peace, like the pain in his body was slowly ebbing away as she watched him.

He noticed he was no longer breathing, and a warm liquid was pooling at his throat, but he hadn't felt her inflict any wound. His eyes began to un-focus as he tried to keep looking into hers, his saviour's. The last thing he saw before he left this world, was a bright shaft of light over her shoulder as there was a break in the clouds.

The warmth of that last ray of sun hit his face and he could have sworn he saw his mother's hand reaching out to him from the sky. He reached back; his limbs no longer held down by the heavy weight of his physical body as he went to join her.