Prologue

AUGUST 2024

AUGUST 2024

The warm summer sun pierce through the tall trees creating an almost ethereal picture. Peaceful. If peace was a photograph, this was it. The last time Bucky was here, the world just lost Iron Man, Pepper lost her husband and Morgan lost her father - and Bucky... he lost his chance to seek forgiveness. Tony's name was at the top of his list. There it will stay until he figures out how to begin recompensing. Now here he stands in front of the cabin door, almost a year after the funeral, hands buried deep in his leather jacket pockets.

He could hear muffled voices bouncing against the walls inside, barely making out Pepper's and Morgan's voices. There was another he didn't recognise. It was probably Happy Hogan, Bucky thought. For a super soldier who had faced death multiple times, this is the most fearful he had ever felt. Even facing Yori Nakajima did not feel this dreadful. His flesh hand was clammy in his glove. He could hear his own heart pounding in his chest.

Fuck. He thought. Why the hell did I tell Sam I needed to do this alone? Shit.

Bucky gathered up whatever courage he had left in him and took a deep shuddering breath. He raised his right hand and just as he was about to knock, the door swung open. But there was no one standing in front of him. He blinked.

"Hi!" A small shy voice called out from somewhere down below.

Bucky glanced down. There, standing tall just shy of his waist, was 6 year old Morgan Stark. Her long dark hair was swept away from her face in a ponytail at the top of her head. Her eyes glistened in wonder as she stared up at the tall stranger.

"Are you mommy's friend?"

Bucky blinked. "Umm.. I'm uh.." His voice came out raspy. He cleared his throat.

Morgan tilted her head to the right, her eyebrows furrowed in contemplation. "Daddy's friend?" She asked, trying again.

Was he a friend? After everything that happened? He was barely an Avenger. Suddenly, he felt like an ice cold hand had clasped itself around his heart, a lump started forming in his throat.

"Bucky?"

Bucky's eyes shifted to the red headed woman that had entered the living room. She smiled widely and glided towards him and Morgan, her arms outstretched as she reached him, enveloping him in a hug. Bucky's arms reached around her, patting her awkwardly in return.

"Thank you for coming," she stated as she stepped back. "I didn't think you'd show up."

Bucky smiled guiltily, a hand reaching up to rub the back of his neck. His hair had grown out a bit. Note to self, need to get a haircut.

"I didn't think I'd show either, to be honest." Bucky replied.

Pepper smiled, "Well, I'm glad you're here. Come on in. We're about to dig into some ice cream."

At the mention of ice cream, Morgan perked up and exclaimed, "Yes! Ice cream!"

Bucky stepped in the house, closing the door behind him. He followed Pepper and Morgan into the kitchen where he spotted Happy bent over the fridge grabbing a few pints of Ben & Jerry's out.

"We're going to need to restock your ice cream stash here, Pep," Happy called out.

Arms full, Happy stood and turned, pausing when he noticed Bucky hovering by the doorway.

"Bucky," Happy greeted courteously.

"Happy," Bucky replied, nodding in return.

A tug on his jeans made him glance down.

"Uncle Bucky?"

Uncle? He looked to Pepper who was holding back a smile as she pretended not to hear them, busying herself - reaching for bowls in the kitchen cabinet.

"Yes, Morgan?"

Morgan tilted her head to the side, "Do you like chocolate chip cookie dough or chocolate fudge brownie?" Her eyes narrowed, almost daring him to get it wrong.

Slightly intimidated by the young Stark, he nervously glanced up at Pepper, "Uhh.."

Fudge Brownie, Pepper mouthed to him, and nodded her head, grinning.

Bucky turned to Morgan and cleared his throat, "Uh, fudge brownie of course."

A wide grin stretched across her chubby cheeks and she reached out her hands to wrap around his covered metal one. His eyes widened, surprised that she so willingly took his hand, albeit, it was covered but it sent a warm feeling in his stomach. He smiled.

"I like you. You can share with me," Morgan said matter-of-factly, as she pulled Bucky by the hand and practically dragged him to the couch facing the warm fireplace. They both plop down on the soft cushion. Happy had taken residence in the armchair adjacent to them. He lifted his bowl of ice cream towards them and continued eating. Pepper walked over to them, handing Bucky a bowl of chocolate fudge brownie ice cream, and another smaller bowl for Morgan, before settling in the other chair across from Happy.

Bucky took off his gloves to eat and then momentarily panicked, forgetting about his metal hand. But Morgan never noticed. None of them did. They actually did but they didn't care. Bucky smiled softly and turned to Morgan as she began rambling about ice cream, and someone called Cocomelon. He chuckled. And for the first time in a long while, he felt warmth.

✺ ✺ ✺

Bucky helped put the now empty bowls into the sink. Morgan had dragged Happy out to the backyard to play hide and seek. Bucky turned on the faucet and started washing the dishes, and put them on the dish rack.

"You didn't have to do that. We have a dishwasher," Pepper's voice floated behind him.

Bucky looked over his shoulder and sent her a grin. He put the last bowl on the rack and dried his hand on the cloth by the sink.

"I never understood those things. What happened to washing it normally?"

Pepper chuckled. Bucky turned and noticed that Pepper had a fairly small rectangular box in her hands. He walked over to where she stood by the dining table. She handed him the box.

"I was organising some of Tony's stuff in the lab and found this," she gestured to the box. "It's addressed to you. I'm sorry it took this long to get it to you."

Bucky shook his head. Pepper reached out and put her hand on his metal one - her fingers curled around his knuckles, giving it a firm and reassuring squeeze.

"I'll give you a minute," she whispered. Her hand left his and she turned to leave the kitchen. At the doorway, she paused. She spun back slowly and her head bent slightly making sure to catch his eyes and holding it there.

"He forgave you," she paused. "I wanted to make sure you know that."

And then he was alone. The lump in his throat was back. The chair scraped the floor quietly as he pulled it out, settling himself in it. He took a deep breath. His hand shook as he lifted the cover. On the top was a white card.

For the former Manchurian Candidate.

Bucky scoffed. He had finally understood that name reference. Gingerly, he removed the card and under it revealed a beautiful Gerber 06 tactical knife. His fingers wrapped around the handle. There was a glow and a soft click. Bucky's eyes widened in surprise. Biometric recognition.

He flipped it open, turning it over inspecting the weapon. On the heel of the black blade, engraved in gold, J.B.B.

Bucky ran his tongue across his lips, his mouth tilting up into a small smirk.

Damn you, Stark.

꧁꧂