Chapter 3: Sato is Who's BROTHER?

Start bij het begin

Your eyes widened as you muttered under your breath, loud enough for Haruka to hear, "Since when did you start caring about me?"

But before you could say anything else, Haruka's face contorted in anger. "What do you mean, 'since when'? Of course, I care about you! We all do! In fact I care about you because Yuri and master does!" Her words were sharp but sincere.

You couldn't help but be surprised by Haruka's outburst. "So you care about me, huh?" A sly smile crept onto your face as you thought about Haruka's true intentions. "Well, that's surprisingly cute of you, even though you're still an asshole."

Haruka's irritation was clear as she turned away, muttering under her breath. "At least I don't talk to myself and swing my sword at nothing." You raised a brow, confused about what she meant, "Huh? What do you mean by me talking and swinging their sword at nothing?"

As you stood there, confused, Haruka's expression morphed into one of surprise. "Are you serious? You were talking to nobody, swinging your sword aimlessly, and you even fell over for no reason!" Haruka's incredulity was palpable.

You were equally baffled as you responded, "I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about." Suddenly, a realization dawned on you - you had met someone named Sato yesterday. "Wait, were you talking about Sato? He's the only person I met yesterday, and we ended up sparring."

Haruka's eyes widened as though she had just been struck by lightning. She grabbed your shoulders roughly, causing you to wince in pain. "Does Sato have pink hair and purple eyes?" she demanded, her voice rising with urgency.

You nodded hesitantly, still reeling from Haruka's aggressive behavior. Then, suddenly, she released her grip, causing you to stumble backward and fall onto your butt. "Listen closely," Haruka said in a low, urgent voice. "Never, ever mention Sato's name in front of the master. Got it?"

Perplexed, you tilted your head even further, hoping for an explanation. "Why can't you mention Sato in front of Sakura?"

Haruka joined you on the ground, her frustrated glare focused on a small patch of dirt. "Because..." she hesitated for a moment before finally speaking;

"Sato is the Master's younger brother."

You were dumbfounded. The pieces didn't seem to fit - how could the youthful swordsman you had met yesterday be related to the Master, who was undoubtedly older and more experienced? "But that doesn't make sense," you said out loud, more to yourself than to Haruka. "Sato looks like he's my age, not 40."

Haruka seemed slightly irritated by your incorrect assumption, but continued nonetheless. "It's complicated. Sato may not look it, but he's been around for a long time. And trust me, it's better to just accept his help if he offers it. Just don't say his name around the Master, or else she'll get really angry." She then poked your head.

Intrigued, you furrowed your brow in confusion. "But why can't I mention one simple name in front of Sakura?" you asked, hoping to uncover some answers. Haruka's gaze softened as she considered your question. "I don't really know," she admitted, "but it likely has something to do with her past."

As Haruka leaned back against the tree and seemed to distance herself from you, a wave of sadness washed over you. 'She wants me to leave?' you thought, feeling disheartened by the sudden distance.

The air between you two was awkward and tense, the only sound being the soft whisper of the wind as a melodic tune played. The silence was finally broken by Haruka, who seemed to have a sudden change of heart. "I can tell you're mad at me, and I-I guess I'm sorry for being mean to you," she said, revealing vulnerability that surprised you. 'Since when did she become so apologetic?' you wondered.