Yeah, that actually happened.

It was embarrassing enough to go through that, and the last thing I wanted was to share those gritty details with my sister, who has had nothing but pure, fairy-tale love in her life. So instead, I told her the bare minimum—hence her rush to get me back into the dating world. It's my own fault that she doesn't understand just how deeply rooted my hurt is, so I try to humor her. As much as she tries to support me through my moping and down-in-the-dumps attitude, she doesn't understand it, and she wants the happy and carefree sister she sent to South Africa. Not the jaded and cynical one who returned.

That makes two of us.

"I do. His name is Tanner, and he's a firefighter."

Clara breathes heavily, and I imagine her in her kitchen, steadying herself on the counter and trying to contain her excitement. "Zoe, that's great. Where did you meet him?"

"Well, remember the thing that happened at the zoo the other day...?" I bit my lip to contain my laughter. Of course she does. With the way they keep recycling it on the news networks, who could forget?

"He's the guy, isn't he?" The pitch of her voice rises with animation that she can't hold back anymore. "The one who came into the enclosure with you?"

"Yeah, he is. We had lunch after our interview the other day and just kind of clicked... So we're going to the pier for dinner." I say. "But don't get too excited, okay? This doesn't mean anything and it might not go anywhere. He's older than me and he's got kids and..."

"Oh, stop it!" Clara chides. "Don't start thinking of excuses why it won't work before you even go out with the guy. Have a little fun for once, will you?"

"Okay," I agree. "But I need to get going. He's going to be here soon, and I still need to get ready."

"Say no more! But call me the second you get home—I want to hear all about it!"

By the time I hang up with Clara, I have just enough time to put on a last coat of lipstick and check my outfit one more time in the mirror. Anticipation buzzes in my chest, and when the doorbell rings I almost jump out of my skin, suddenly panicked.

It's been so long since I've been on a real date. What if I completely forget how to act? What if I scare him away? What if I mess the entire thing up?

Get a grip, Zoe.

Feeling so flustered is new to me, and I have a hunch it's because I actually really like Tanner. I want it to work out. I want to see where it goes. No one else has ever really piqued my interest the way he does, and it's just terrifying enough to keep me coming back for more.

When the doorbell rings a second time, I realize I've been frozen, standing here like an idiot in my foyer while Tanner stands on my porch. He can probably even see me through the windows. Perfect. Real solid start, Zoe.

I throw open the door, and Tanner is standing with his back to me, hands in the pockets of his jeans and a tight-fitting black t-shirt stretched across his strong back. The dark lines of tattoos peek out from the sleeves, but what really does it for me is the backwards Dodgers hat he's got on. I clear my throat, trying to stop myself from unraveling before I'm too far gone to act like a normal human being.

With the noise, he turns around and his smile hits me like a kick to the chest, but in the best way.

"Hi Zoe."

"Hi." The corners of my lips turn up, and I hope I don't look as flushed as I feel.

He hands me a colorful bouquet of wild flowers with stems wrapped in brown paper and tied together with a string. "I was a little worried you were having second thoughts when you didn't answer the first time."

"Not at all. I was upstairs when you rang the bell." I say, taking the flowers from him. "These are beautiful. Why don't you come inside and I'll get them in water before we go?"

Tanner follows me into my house, shutting the door behind him. "Your place is amazing. I've always wanted to be right on the water like this."

He stares out the back doors onto the beach, watching as the waves roll in as I cut the stems of the flowers. "It is really nice. Technically, it was my dad's, so I got it for a steal."

"You got to grow up in a house like this?" Tanner settles into one of the bar stools at my kitchen island, leaning onto the granite.

I shake my head. "I spent a few weeks of my summers here. My mom stayed in Phoenix when they got divorced, and my dad moved up here. When I came back from Africa, I didn't really know where I wanted to land and he and his wife were setting out on an indefinite RV trip across the country, so it worked out well."

"I've heard that RV living is pretty popular with the retired crowded." Tanner says. "Not for me, though. I like to travel, but something about not having a place to come home to doesn't sit right with me."

"Me either." I agree. "I definitely got the better end of the deal here."

"You absolutely did." Tanner chuckles, adjusting his weight on the stool. "Did you work today?"

I nod. "Mostly just meetings about the new program, nothing very exciting."

"So things are going well with it?" Tanner's genuine interest makes me smile. For a guy who talks as much as he doesn't, he's a good listener.

"Yes, and no. It's a lot of front work so I haven't been able to be with the animals as much, which I don't love." I finish the arrangement of flowers and set them at the center of the island, painfully aware of Tanner's eyes on me with each move I make. "But on the bright side, I'm going to get to travel more again, so that's exciting."

"Like back to Africa?"

"Probably at some point." That doesn't excite me as much as it should. South Africa was the place my world fell apart and my life changed and as incredible as it was, it still holds some biting memories.

"You know, if you do go back, and you ever need someone to like start a campfire or move a gigantic tree for your shelter or things like that, I know a guy who might be interested. Just for like safety purposes and stuff." He shoots me a playful wink.

I arch my eyebrow at Tanner, a smile sweeping across my face. "Why don't we see how tonight goes before we agree to go on an international trip together?"

"Still afraid I might be a serial killer or something?" He stands up, offering his hand to me.

Without a moment of hesitation, I take it. "Well, you do like the Dodgers, so the verdict is still out, hero."

Tanner shakes his head, a devilish smirk playing at his lips. "Call me a hero again and see where that gets you later tonight..."

The playful threat sets fire to my core, sending a scorching blaze across my entire body. The look he gives me proves he knows exactly what he's doing, and he enjoys it.

And I'm supposed to get through the evening with him baiting me this way?

I don't stand a chance.