Chapter 1-In the Beginning

Even for a scientific mind, grief cripples in mind numbing waves. Arianna wiggled a bit in a too tight grip as James gave the lab one last look around and tried to fathom the why behind his world falling in flaming disarray around them. It was late, the room empty and the whirr of machines echoed in an odd rhythm along with the pings of metal on metal and lapping of the Potomac at the bow of the old ship. An eerie quiet after the rattle of gunfire and shouts as super mutants from the nest a half a click up made another run at the old essex class carrier. While the tub and it's security repelled the attempted invasion, it just hit home how unsafe the wasteland was, even if riveted steel stood between it and the pair of them. Time to leave what was left of the old Naval Yard and head for the closest place of safety he could think of.

Vault 101 was near Springvale, an outlying suburb of old D.C. and no small journey to undertake, especially with an infant whose lifespan in weeks could be counted on one hand. It took a bit of juggling but James managed to get the pack with a few supplies over both shoulders with as little jarring of his baby girl as possible. Settling back down as her father nestled her inside the leather armor on his chest, Ari didn't last long and drifted off with the thump of his heart as the sweetest lullaby. From the upper hallway Dr. Li's voice floated down and James quickly slipped out the lower bulkhead door before she entered the lab, unwilling to have yet another confrontation, another argument about the project and his desertion but with Catherine's death, nothing mattered save the baby. Stroking the downy head one more time before heading across the metal bridge, James headed out on his quest with nary a look back, cutting towards the memorial to meet Cross.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun began to disappear on the western horizon, elongating shadows and stealing the weak warmth of the sun like a thief. Arianna whined and moved restlessly, tired of the close prison and very possibly the stench of her father's unwashed body after days on the road. Hadn't been easy for them, the threesome dodging raiders and mutated wildlife with increasing frequency as the Doc took shortcuts to lessen time and the meager supplies which were quickly diminishing with a hungry infant bundled up under thick leather. Megaton loomed on the horizon and James broke into a trot, the movement rocking the baby quiet for a bit and shaving a few more minutes off his arrival time with the Paladin keeping time despite the hefty armor.

Officer Weld stood just outside the main doors, cold starlight reflecting off the few reflective surfaces left among the grimy exterior, his dome light dim with the same film of wasteland dirt. "Welcome to Megaton. The bomb is perfectly safe. We promise" The platitude delivered in a tinny whine as the clunky protectron sidled to the left and opened the gate, rattle echoing down the hillside and cracked remains of a lost highway that James jogged up on approach.

"James, a moment." Star Cross stowed her weapon and with a snap and a hiss the helmet slid from her head, revealing close cropped hair and ebony skin. A smile flashed white teeth when she spoke again. "I have upheld my duty to Elder Lyons and to you. A return to the Citadel is in order. "

The Doc laughed, his own smile rare enough and dimmer than the woman remembered it. "Come on Star, you know traveling at night is twice as dangerous, even for a Brotherhood Paladin. I'll find lodgings and you can rest until the sun rises." Not taking no for an answer, he turned on his heel as the reluctant Paladin dogged his heels. Didn't take much to find Simms, then find Moriarty's for a room for the night. A shower while the Brotherhood cyborg watched Arianna and a meal later, the three settled down with James and his daughter sleeping heavy due to exhaustion while Cross kept watch, dark eyes keen and unblinking while the noise from the bar downstairs failed to make either of her companions stir.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The farewell between old comrades held elements of both sadness and a hope that this step was the right one. Cross knew her friend in arms grieved deeply but losing him and the project doomed the small sliver of promise inherent in what humanity would have gained had things not gone sideways so late in the game. The cyborg gave James an awkward hug and stepped back, gazing without rancor into the face of a man who'd become a close friend during her assignment to the purifier. "I wish you luck James. I know this decision was difficult but you must do what is best for both of you." Her faint smile spoke to the honesty of her words. "I think perhaps I will see you again. Though"