Chapter Seventeen

"I just shoved the paper back where I found it and acted like I didn't see it

"I just shoved the paper back where I found it and acted like I didn't see it." I groan and throw my face in my hands.

"He's probably just nervous to tell you," Robin says while waving at a customer coming into the video store.

"I don't know. I would have loved to find out from him." I bring my knees to my chest and lift my head to look up at Robin.

I'm sitting on the floor behind the counter. Robin is standing behind the cash register eating candy. It's Friday, but the rush hasn't hit since it's only three o'clock. Robin and I have been working since we opened this morning.

Robin takes a sip of her water. "You should ask him about it."

"No. I want to see if he will tell me. I mean, he doesn't have much time." My heart hurts thinking of only having two weeks or less with Eddie. If he has to get settled before starting his job then it could be sooner. Oh god.

"You guys are weird. If you both talked about stuff then you'd avoid these issues and stop wasting time." She mutters with her mouth full.

I give her a look, "Says the girl that won't tell her crush that she's into her." She throws a piece of candy at me.

"Hey! I'm not cleaning that up." I say.

"Oh, shut up. Just put your big girl panties on and confess your love to him so he won't leave." Robin laughs. My chest tightens at the word love.

"Who's leaving?" James walks up to the counter facing Robin. I stand up when he looks down at me.

"No one. It's nothing." I mutter and brush the candy off my skirt. I haven't seen James since last night when I left him at the restaurant.

"Madi's boyfriend. He hasn't told her he's leaving town." Robin says casually. Dammit, Robin. I didn't particularly want my business announced to the whole video story.

James's brow furrows as he looks at me. "Eddie is leaving?"

I inhale deeply and look at Robin. She looks at me and then back to James. "Wait. You know Eddie?" Robin asks.

"We met briefly." He answers.

I grab my drink, feeling uncomfortable. I take a sip and nod toward Robin. "Mhm."

"No way. He doesn't seem like Madi's type, huh?" She giggles while grabbing the last price of candy. I'm going to kill her.

"Robin. Stop." I roll my eyes and snatch the empty bag from her hands. I toss it in the trash because I know she will leave it on the counter.

"No. He doesn't." James says while my back is turned. I grab the stack of papers that I need to bring to Keith's office. I turn around to face Robin and James.

"Are you both experts on my type?" I stare at them.

"It's a joke, Madi," Robin whispers as a customer walks up to the register to check out. Robin turns to them and smiles. "Are you ready to check out?"