Chapter 1

"Kathy," a slurred voice yelled and I opened my eyes with a groan.

"What?" I snapped. How you can easily earn my wrath? Just disturb my beauty sleep.

"Where's my food?" The voice which undoubtedly belonged to my father asked.

"Check the cooler in the kitchen," I muttered, very annoyed he disturbed my beauty sleep for food.

"Okay, good night." And the door was slammed close again. I blinked hard, sleep was far gone now.

Every time he came back, barely able to hold his own weight, my heart would shatter. He was never like this, we used to be the perfect family until we weren't.

Me, mum, dad and Isaac. But now, I've never not seen him without a bottle. He always stank. And mum just left. If he didn't change so much after that, maybe I wouldn't have minded because God knows how much I hate that woman who called herself my mother, she ruined us. She left us, and she took my brother with. If she left us alone and didn't take my brother to live a miserable life with her, I honestly couldn't have cared less.

But instead, she left with my Isaac and my poor father's heart, leaving behind a shell. When she left, she carried all my love for her with, leaving me with nothing but hatred for her. I loathed her.

Closing my eyes to think about anything else other than my mother, I picked up my phone and dialed Elizabeth. She picked up on the first ring with a curse.

"Fuck, this better be good girl." She mumbled and I smacked my teeth ignoring her bitchy voice. God bless her and of course I love her a lot but she could be a handful.

"I am bored." I said simply. I knew very well what would come next but I held on, for what reason? I don't know but I still held on.

"And who am I? A fucking clown?" She asked heatedly and I hung up. Yeah, she wasn't in the mood to talk. Not knowing what else to do with my life, I started playing candy crush while slowly humming a Wizkid song.

How many hours passed with me just swiping my life away, I didn't know. I dropped the phone with a plop to check on dad.

He was sprawled on the old couch, snoring lightly. I always kept a blanket near for him, since he made it a duty to sleep on the couch even though he has a comfortable bed, I decided I should at least protect him from the cold.

"I hope that one day, I will get my father back." I whispered as I covered him. Because I don't know for how long I can do this. I can't keep this up and it's killing me. Holding one scrawny looking hand, I placed a gentle kiss on it.

I should be angry, livid even, that he just let me be the adult when he my father just drank like a fish. And I tried to hold the anger but it was like trying to hold sand with your hand closed in a fist, slowly but surely, it would slip away.

I wanted to leave, but I can't leave him when he can't even stand up on his own. What if something happens to him while I was away living my life? I would never forgive myself and as much as I tried, I knew he's given a lot to me in his life. And right now, he was as absent as mum but I just can't. I've tried but I couldn't do it. So many times.

Switching off the lights, I went back to my room to get some much needed sleep. I was tired and the best way to get your mind off things is to get some sleep. Sleep always helped, I recommend sleeping, nine out of ten times. The only one left is to probably take responsibility and look for solutions but high key, sleeping sounded so much better. Just you, your comfy bed and a couple pillows and a warm blanket. I closed my eyes as I snuggled my pillow.

"Kathy, Kathy," a voice called softly. I opened my eyes slowly.

"Father?" I asked softly, almost unable to believe my eyes, he was sober. Usually, he would be out drinking by now. He can't take care of his own health but somehow always gets money for alcohol.

"I have to talk to you." He whispered urgently, making me sit up straight. I cut my hair short a long time ago and since then, I've been doing that. Saves me time and j don't have to sit for painful hours trying to get my hair done. I just wear wigs now. On rare occasions too. 

"Yes dad," I muttered, adjusting my sleep wear. "What's the matter?"

"I want to change." I rolled my eyes, rolled my eyes so hard, I was almost seeing my brain. Why, you may ask? It's because I've heard this a lot of times before. He used to say the same thing every time and I would be happy but no change.

The first time he told me, I was elated with joy. I even threw all the bottles away and made us a nice dinner with some nice drinks that didn't contain a drop of alcohol, I thought if I kept it away from him as much as possible, it would be easier. I saved up for him to go to a rehab,it was expensive and even though I was struggling I still tried.

But guess what?

He didn't change, he even slapped me many times for throwing his bottles away, I was seventeen at the time. And I felt broken that day. I was seventeen when I saved up for him to go to rehab, girls my age were fawning over Korean actors and making themselves look pretty at the time.

He made me a promise again to change when I clocked eighteen, still no change.

I once went in search of my mother once. So she could help him, if mum ever came back, I'm sure he would discard the bottles. But that's a story for another day.

Few months after my eighteenth birthday, he made a promise and father dearest didn't change. So I just got used to it. If I wanted to help him, he has to be ready to help himself. But no, nothing of the sort will happen.

"Okay dad," I smiled wryly and he hung his head, dejected that I didn't believe him.

"Sweetheart, I'm serious this time. Please believe me," grabbing both of my hands in his, he looked deep into my eyes, I tried to see the truth in them but his eyes were so sunken in and looked very vulnerable, he was struggling but I was too.

"Father, I.." I closed my mouth shut. Not knowing what to say, I didn't want to raise my hopes, nothing has given me more heartache than this.

"Kathy, please just trust me this time."

"You want me to trust you?" I scoffed, "you really want me to trust you? I waited all my life, for you to become sober. I just want us to be like a normal father and daughter, I don't want to look after my drunken father all my life. I can't even think of anything else other than you, my life and my future all are on hold just because I can't leave you alone like this. You can barely walk on your own. You were not even there when I finished from the university, you weren't there when I celebrated getting my first job, you weren't there when I got promoted. Everything I have done on my own, everything and you wake up one day and want me to trust you?" I accused, raising my voice with each sentence.

"Kathy, don't talk like that. I'll change this time, I've thrown all my bottles out by myself, I prayed to God this morning, I'll change." He pleaded and I was falling for it, I could feel my resolve weakening. 

"Don't promise me change father, I want to see it." I grumbled ad I got to my feet, "now if you'll excuse me, I have to get to work."

Hey guys🥺, here I am again. With yet another story out of  imaginations. So yep, there you go. The first chapter of Lies Become You. And it's kinda short but I wrote this in a hurry and it's unedited but I'll edit it as soon as possible because this book is actually for a project.