"Honestly," I sit up on my knees and shuffle closer to him. "I'm fine."

Grayson ponders for a second what he's going to say but then settles with, "okay."

I chew on my lip and study him, still dressed in his black shirt rolled up to his elbows and work trousers. "Thanks again for earlier, I've only really just come to terms with it. But thank you, I think I was a bit in shock at the time."

"It's my job to protect you," he rubs a hand against the stubble on his cheeks. "I won't let anyone hurt you, not if I can stop it myself."

My eyes flick between his dark, warm eyes and I offer him a smile. "Well thanks anyway, even if it's your job. I appreciate it."

Grayson rests his muscly arm on the back of the sofa and places his head onto his fist. "I don't know if you believed me earlier," his lips move slowly and he focuses on my eyes. "But you looked incredible today."

"Stop," I place my hand over my face, not sure what to do with his overwhelming compliments. Grayson grabs my hand and lowers it from my gaze, our eyes finding each other again. "Too many compliments and I might explode."

"Do your parents ever tell you how pretty you are?"

I glance up at the wall covered with books and I narrow my gaze. "No," I say after a few moments. "Not that I can really remember. You're one of the only people to say anything, apart from the odd maid who only spent a couple of weeks here."

"Well," Grayson shifts so our knees graze and it sparks a fire up my leg. "When I say it, you know it must be true."

The corners of my lips tug at his words. "Ahhhh yes," I say suddenly. "I'll remember that next time that you are the speaker of truth and nothing but."

Grayson nudges my knee against his properly this time but doesn't pull back, he lets our contact be known and I wasn't going to fight it. I enjoy it, a bit too much.

"Are you always so defensive?" He quirks a brow.

"Are you always so forward?"

"Yes. Life is too short to beat around the bush."

I blink back at him and take in his gorgeous face, drawing in closely with his lips.

Life is too short. I know that, I know that very well and I may end up dead before even getting a chance to live mine.

My chest tightens as I settle back on his eyes. Everything inside my body vibrates as I suck in a breath and try to calm my nerves. But when I stare into his gaze all I want to do is fall head first into his arms.

I've been craving his touch since that day he cuddled me, held me so tightly to make sure that I couldn't magically slip away. I adored every moment and I want that right now.

He can't call me beautiful and not have any sort of feelings for me. Unless everyone on the outside world goes around calling each other beautiful and incredible just to be nice and I've got the wrong end of the stick.

But in my head that isn't something you say to someone if you're just trying to be friendly.

I could be wrong but it's too late and I don't think before what I'm about to do. My knees push forward and I lean in towards him, our faces merely inches from each other.

His gaze keeps on mine as I can feel the warmth from his face. I push through my nerves and press my lips to his, just about grazing skin but then I'm left cold. So cold.

Grayson pulls back, his expression one I would consider of horror.

Panic and sheer embarrassment runs through every vein in my body and I jump up from the sofa, panting deeply. I run a hand through my hair and back away, nausea creeping up my throat and if Grayson wasn't with me right now, I'd vomit all over the floor without thinking.