Kutumika

I never slept that night. Asha told me to stay awake at all times, even if I felt like I would pass out. Finally, everyone was asleep, not counting the guards outside. I crept over to Asha's nest as quietly as I possibly could, stepping over lions and their nests, desperate not to make any noise. Finally, I made it there, Asha had cleared a hole big enough for us to crawl to crawl through, yet small enough for her to cover it back up when we were both inside the tunnel. She gestured to me to go in, and I did. I walked a few steps forward, the dirty, damp walls seemed to press into me on either side, I didn't want to stop and wait. After what seemed like forever, Asha said "Sorry if it's a little cramped." I sighed "It's fine." I started walking. The tunnel was so dark I couldn't see my own paws. I walked a little faster, hoping the exit was soon. "Just a little farther." Asha whispered "Can you hear the river?" I heard it then, the rush of the river. I could smell it too, and the tunnel walls were getting damper. "What're we going to do at the end of this tunnel?" I asked, whispering "Well, we follow the river to the jungle. If we absolutely have to, we'll jump into the river and let the current take us the rest of the way." I nodded, hoping that we would just have to walk. Finally, moonlight came through tiny patches from the small holes in the covering of the tunnel. When I reached the end of the tunnel, Asha squeezed past me, and dug at the covering, and sliding through the small hole she made. I followed, onto the muddy banks of the Aleela river. I took a deep breath, taking in the damp air. "Alright, let's go." Asha was already walking off towards the jungle. "Hey wait!" I whisper yelled, jogging up to walk by her. "How far do we have to go?" I asked "Far." Asha said "We won't be there by morning." I walked a little faster "Isn't that dangerous?" she shrugged "Maybe, but you know lions are lazy when it comes to patrols on the river side. Besides, if they find us we'll just jump into the river." I rolled my eyes, Asha always had some sort of weird plan that could put our lives in danger. I could see the tops of the rainforest trees, but they were far off. There was no way we would get there by the next afternoon. "Just keep going. We'll eventually get there." I wanted to run there, but that would leave Asha behind, and she might not be able to catch up. We walked until the sun came up, and that's when I got a scent. "Lion!" I whispered to Asha, who stopped. "Keep walking." she ordered "I'll be right behind you." I growled "Why?" Asha sat down "It's Kovu."