AD MELIORA: 10

Life without Muzan visiting after dark is difficult at times. Too often do you pour out two cups of tea or lounge in your kitchen waiting for a knock. When the realization that he's gone, and by your hands no less, hits you, crying for a few hours or staring at a wall bleakly isn't too uncommon.

And yet, when you see the townspeople around you relaxing as murders stop happening, you know that it was the right decision. Perhaps it wasn't the best one for you, but sacrifices are inevitable. It was a choice that you wouldn't regret, at least.

You set your teacup onto the table, the drink inside completely drained. Memories of how Muzan would down each cup he was served as if it were a meal given to a starving man surface, eliciting a fond smile. A picture of his satisfied face drifts to your mind.

Quickly, before your smile can be drowned in bitterness, you close two fingers around the metal dangling from your ear. The familiar curves and edges comfort you as you run the pads of your fingers along them.

When you do miss him, you circle back to the box of trinkets he gave you, or the jewelry that always occupies your ears. Its comforting weight is there for you when you need it, and accompanies you even when you don't.

The wan candlelight and fragrance of tea reminds you of all the nights you spent talking with Muzan. The scene is so familiar that you can almost sense his presence.

Here, you are with me, if only in my mind.

Perhaps, if we meet under the plum blossoms once more in another life, we'll have a happier ending then.