Chapter 22

Malcolm was currently standing in his office at the top of the Merlyn Global Group Building, overlooking the city, thinking about what this city could've become if his son hadn't had betrayed him. However, the city would still have the opportunity to embrace his vision of the future after it was in ruins. His bigger concern would be Ra's al Ghul coming after him, since it was highly unlikely he would not find out this plan. Something that Malcolm had done his best to prepare for, but he was still unsure of his ability to defeat his old teacher.

However, he was pulled from his thoughts when he heard someone drop down from the ceiling.

"I didn't think you'd track me down so soon." Malcolm said without turning around, thinking it was Ra's.

"Malcolm Merlyn, you have failed this city." a different voice growled as Malcolm turned to find a man who could only be the mysterious Green Arrow standing across from him, a bow and arrow aimed right at him.

"You must be the Green Arrow. I have to admit, I wasn't sure if you were real or not." Malcolm said.

"Oh I'm real and I'm also the person you fear the most." Green Arrow said and Malcolm laughed.

"You think I'm afraid of you?" Malcolm chuckled, only to pause when he saw a glint of silver on the Green Arrow's hand.

"I see you've noticed my extra accessory. Normally I wouldn't wear it in the field, but considering who you are, what you've done and what you're planning on doing, I felt it would be necessary for you to know exactly who you're dealing with." Green Arrow said as he held up his hand so that Malcolm could clearly see the ring of the Demon's Head on it.

"You're Ra's al Ghul now?" Malcolm asked, wondering who could possibly have the skill to kill his old teacher.

"Yes. And I can see that you saw it fit to dress for this occasion." Green Arrow said, since Malcolm was dressed in his League garb.

"Who are you?" Malcolm asked as he prepared himself for what would likely be the fight of his life, since if whoever this man was could beat the old Ra's, he would clearly be a challenge for Malcolm.

"Someone who wants to make sure you receive justice." Green Arrow said.

"So you're a coward then? Pathetic. Say what you will about Ra's, at least he was never a coward." Malcolm said.

"You want to see my face. Fine. I suppose it's only fitting." Green Arrow said as he removed his mask and hood.

"It can't be." Malcolm said, shocked at seeing the face of Oliver Queen staring back at him.

"It is. I know everything Malcolm. I know that you sabotaged my father's yacht when he got cold feet about helping you in your Undertaking, I know that you're responsible for everything I went through. The hell I had to go through to get back home. I know what you put Tommy through. And I know that in some sick way, you think you're honoring Rebecca." Oliver said, glaring at Malcolm.

"It's because of me you have your daughter Oliver." Malcolm said, only to receive an arrow in the shoulder for that remark.

"Don't even think about mentioning her again. You risk putting her in danger with your plans. And you somehow think that your wife would approve of what you're doing in her name?" Oliver demanded.

"The people of the Glades deserve to die for what happened to Rebecca." Malcolm insisted

"It was only one person who shot your wife Malcolm. The whole city doesn't deserve to pay for those actions." Oliver said.

"They all just walked by her and let her die. They all deserve to suffer for that." Malcolm insisted.

"She would be horrified by what you've allowed your anger and hatred to turn you into." Oliver said.

"I'm surprised you're willing to try to talk to me Oliver?" Malcolm asked.

"Only out of respect for Tommy. But we both know how this will end." Oliver said as he pulled his mask and hood back on as Malcolm pulled his hood up.

"Yes. With me telling your mother that she's lost her son again. And then I'm gonna pay a little visit to your new home and make sure that your girlfriend and daughter know exactly who failed to protect them." Dark Archer said, though it was clear that was the wrong thing to say as Green Arrow only saw red before he charged forward and Dark Archer barely had time to pull out his sword to block Green Arrow's bow attack.

"You'll never get the chance to touch any of my family again." Green Arrow said with a heated glare, thinking that he'd never allow any form of history to repeat itself. He would not lose Laurel again. And anyone who threatened that goal would meet the same fate Malcolm was about to.

"And here I was thinking that I'd give you a swift and quick death. But no, that threat just ensured that you are going to suffer immensely before I kill you. Starting with this." Green Arrow said as he skillfully stole Malcolm's own sword from him.

"Impressive." Dark Archer said.

"I've only gotten started." Green Arrow said as Dark Archer pulled out another sword as the two began sparring and Green Arrow had flashbacks to the last time he and Malcolm had fought during the League Civil War, only this time, he was intent on correcting the mistake he'd made before in letting Malcolm live.

"You're skilled." Dark Archer said as they both moved quickly, right as the SCPD arrived.

"It's him. It's the Green Arrow. He's real." One of the cops said as Green Arrow noticed them.

"It's not safe for you here. Go. I've got this." Green Arrow said.

"Sergeant, what are your orders?" One of the cops asked the sergeant in charge of the operation.

"Listen to the man in green. We're clearly outmatched. Focus on evacuating the staff for questioning." the sergeant said as the cops quickly backed out and allowed Green Arrow to return his focus to the fight before proceeding to slice off one of Malcolm's hands.

"Ah." Malcolm screamed as he dropped his sword from his other hand and dropped to the ground in pain.

"You underestimated me. Even though you saw that I wear the ring of Ra's, you still held back. And it cost you victory." Green Arrow said, since that was a lesson he'd learned the hard way too many times.

"So what now, are you gonna turn me into the cops? Be the noble hero?" Malcolm asked as Green Arrow yanked his hood off so that they were looking in the eyes and Malcolm saw nothing but the eyes of a killer staring back at him.

"You and I both know that's not the justice you deserve. Your plans are over before they can truly begin and now you are over with them. This is for my father." Green Arrow said as he shoved the blade through Malcolm's chest and watched the life fade from his eyes before proceeding to decapitate him, just as a precaution.

"I should've done that a long time ago." Green Arrow said as he fired a cable arrow out the window of the office to make his escape.