"Fuck. I can't just sit here, knowing that she needs medical attention!" He groans.

"Then you better find a way to fix whatever the hell it is you and Enzo said, cause I agree, she needs to see you."

************

Ember's POV

What a long day. I think, sprawling out on the bed in relief that the day is finally over. I can't believe it's only been a few days since I met Alessandro. So much has happened since then. I mean, I have five brothers, and two of them hate me already. I thought that would happen, but I didn't expect it to happen so fast.

Pulling at a strand of my hair as I think, I barely notice the knock at my door. "Come in." I call out hesitantly.

"I brought you some supplies." Roman says softly as he walks in confidently. "Fresh bandages, cream for the burns, lotion for your scars..." He trails off when my eyes narrow.

"Why did you bring this here?" I demand, not caring if I sound harsh.

"Because, you have no clean bandages and I'm not letting you go to sleep with those wounds not properly cared for." He shoots right back.

I bristle in indignation at that. "Exuse me? I've been caring for myself for quite some time now and I'm perfectly capable of continuing to do so!" I spit.

"I understand that, but you don't have to anymore. We can take care of you. When you're ready, you can go get checked out by Elijah, but in the meantime, let me fix you?" He pleads.

I can't help it. I know that he's only trying to help, but those words. Fix you. It rings through my head on repeat."You think I'm broken? That I'm just some project to fix?" I ask lowly.

"No! Of course not! I'm just trying to say that I care about you and I want you to have clean bandages and medicine to help you heal faster." He explains.

"My bandages are clean. I wash them very well. Besides, I can't afford all those things right now."

"What do you mean you can't afford them? They're right here! You don't have to pay me for them!" He replies, his tone indicating annoyance.

"Everything comes with a price and I'm not willing to pay any more. I'll take care of myself." I say, trying not to sound too rude.

He groans loudly, rubbing a hand across his face before replying, "You won't owe me anything! Just take the damn medicine!" My eyes widen at his tone and I can't help but step back harshly, my breath picking up dramatically as I struggle to take in oxygen.

He curses under his breath before moving closer to grab my shoulder. My eyes widen at the sudden movement and panic takes over. He's going to kill me. I refused a gift! How stupid could I possibly be?

Black spots cloud my vision as a flashback takes over. I see my seven-year-old self wearing my favorite little blue dress. I remember that day. My seventh birthday. "Ember! Come down here!" My stepfather calls. "I have something for you."

I race down the stairs in excitement. He has something for me? And more than that, he said my name! I was still young enough to dream that he cared. I should have known though. I hadn't received something since mom died. I reach the kitchen, panting from my lack of endurance, and see him standing there with a small red box in hand and an evil grin on his face.