Chapter 12: Stay true to the offer

Summary: Childe takes you out of the camp for a trip to try to make it up to you

Scaramouche realizes that he misses your company at times. He doesn't like the thought of going soft
____________________________________

The sun had begun to set by the time Childe had started to walk you back to camp, arms behind his head as you two walked side by side.

There was a somewhat comfortable silence in the air although you still weren't too happy with the Harbinger at the moment. Childe had called you a freaking pet. Or something like a pet? It was weird... but then it made you think. Is that what Scaramouche had considered you? Harbingers don't do love, they don't do romance and yet here was Scaramouche keeping you with him at all times. Except now apparently. Was he just obsessed with just the power he held over you? Or....

"Maybe like a pet? Just there to make me happy and keep me good company when needed. Nothing more."

The words Childe had said rang in your head. Pounding and brutal.

Isn't that the same exact reason why Scaramouche had decided to keep you around? To force you to take his offer? Although Childe said it wasn't the same reason for them to keep you it bothered you. And yet with this question ringing in your head another rose. Why did you want Scaramouche to actually care for you? Did he? If so why did you care? The man was nothing but a asshole to you, cruel intentions always around the corner.

"You've been awfully quiet," Childe began and side eyed you "Something on your mind? I'm all ears."

You pursed your lips and looked at the ground, avoiding eye contact with the man not exactly sure whether to tell him or not. So you decided to lie "I'm just stressing is all. If Scaramouche gets to the camp first and sees I'm not there-"

"Relax comrade," Childe smiled and raised a hand up to place it on his chest in a promising manner "I will take the blame entirely. Besides we both agreed to hearing Scara say that as long as either him or I can escort you it will be fine. He said it himself so worry not."

"Can we still hurry back though? He already punished me for disobeying him."

That made Childe raise a brow in curiosity "Oh really now? How so? Another marking?"

You had just realized that Childe wasn't wrong. Scaramouche did mark you again. You raised your hand to show him your wrist and Childe examined it.

"Scara bit you?! Kinky!" Childe laughed and playfully waggled his brows

Rolling your eyes you brought your arm back down to your waist. "You never take anything seriously do you?"

"Of course I do! It doesn't look too bad, not compared to the bruises he usually leaves on your wrist. What did you do to piss off him anyway?"

"I went to visit Su without his permission," you stopped and waited a moment before continuing. "And then I tried to manipulate him, he caught on quickly though."

Childe raised his brows and let out a "Hmmm." Before smacking his lips loudly "Yikes... and you thought that was a good idea becauseeee?"

You lowered your eyes to the ground once more "I don't know, I was so tired of having to heed to him. Our contract wasn't even a day old! But that never stopped him from keeping me around."

"Don't give in," Childe stated and shot a smile your way "In all honesty I think he wants you to challenge him somewhat. And you should feel honored." His advice was genuine, It was how you were still alive at this point. Doing something that no one else could do. The short Harbinger must have really liked you