Chapter 2

It was now nearly time for lunch before we snuck out of the estate grounds. I was paranoid the grounds keeper would spot us. And I could just hear my mother in my head scolding me, but I shook it off.

'We'll need to go to another part of town or people may get really suspicious." I cautioned.

'Oh I see, don't want to be seen with me. Hmm thought you were–"

I stopped her, "no because of me." I shook my head. "Wait Vi please." I caught her giving her hand. "Please it's just that well my family is sort of a big deal here. A lot of people will recognize me, a lot of unwelcome attention and that will get back to my mother in no time..."

"Hmm, your mom sounds scary."

"Oh yes, you have no idea." I smiled a little.

"I'd just like to talk and not be bothered." I said, leaning it for a long kiss.

She returned my gaze with that damn beautiful smile. "How can I say no to that Cupcake? Ya know I might know a place we could go. That is if you're up to heading back across the river?"

"I'd like that. I just need to be back by 6 for our family dinner or my mother will most likely kill me." I tried to joke, but I was pretty damn serious.

She grabbed my hand and we started to rush, almost running through the streets and across the bridge again. She hopped up onto the railing of a nearby balcony and extended her hand. "All us fisher folk can do this, it's the fastest and safest way to get around down here and you weren't too bad at it last night." She winked.

"God this could be the end of me," I quipped.

"Oh not a chance, I got you." She pulled me up hoping from balcony to balcony bringing me up to each one, stair stepping our way to the roof.

"Ya know Cait I did not expect to be having so much fun with a Piltie." We started to talk as we kept our pace.

"Ha I never thought I'd fall for a Zaunite."

"Aww you like me?" Vi reached for my hand to help me across a large pipe. "I like you too, Caitlyn."

I knew I was blushing again and was so glad she couldn't turn around to see me.

"Vi what is it about you? I can tell there's a lot more to you than just sideshows in the street."

"Heh, I thought you were going to tell me more about you."

"Damn it you're right. Well for starters it's Caitlyn Kirraman."

She paused abruptly. Shit.

"Um like the Councilor Kirraman?" She started to slowly walk but didn't look back at me. She must have known the answer that was coming.

"Um yeah that's the one."

"So your scary mom?" She said with a weary comical tone.

"Yup."

She reached her free hand to her face once we got across the massive pole. She sat down on the roof.

"Uh that was a pretty big omission." She wiped a bit of sweat off her brow.

"Yeah you're right I should have told you. I'm sorry Vi."

"Hmm no, don't be. I wouldn't have told me either. You don't know who you can trust down here."

"Also it's not just Vi by the way, well it's actually Violet but no one calls me that."

"Hmm well it's nice to meet you Violet." We let out a small laugh.

"Come on, we're almost there." She said picking up the pace.

We started to make a little descent into the lanes.