3. Art of the Swoon

Start from the beginning

"I was thinking more that we should not consider ourselves siblings, more— friends," he suggests. "Music partners."

"Are you saying you think of my sister in a higher regard than that of myself?" I ask him, setting up our sheet music.

"Of course not, I merely," he takes a breath. "We are both coming of age soon and I think perhaps people would take it the wrong way. With Eloise she makes her feelings about marriage quite clear, you however ...."

"Don't talk in front of half the ton because they are bothersome and I would rather keep things to myself."

"Exactly. I also think it adds a bit of mystery to you," he grins.

"You know just like Penelope you're allowed at our house anytime. You've even been in the family room, I don't see how anyone could think of us potentially courting one another," I tell him, placing my violin on my shoulder.

"It will be a last resort if I become in certain need of a wife and you a husband," he agrees, placing his own too.

"1, 2, ready and—"

~

I turned and placed a pillow on top of my face. I was trying to drown out Eloise's snoring. Usually I sleep before her, but I needed to finish writing something so I stayed up a bit longer. Now I see what a mistake that was. Maybe I should just go down stairs and bake, that usually helps.

I sneak down stairs, noticing a couple of the lights still on, maybe a couple maids were awake. I come to the kitchen to find the lights on and my eldest brother and sister standing there with some milk. "Whatever are you two doing?" I ask them.

"Uh..." "um..." "Well–"

"We both couldn't sleep so we thought some warm milk might help, but turns out neither Anthony or I know how to work the stove," Daphne admits.

I giggle as I grab a glass and place it over the stove. I lit the stove allowing it to heat the milk before pouring some into three glasses. "What about you sister? Why are you awake at such a time?" Anthony asks, sipping his milk.

"Eloise's snoring, thought if I baked a little I could come back and the noise would die down," I laugh. They both chuckled.

"Can I ask you a question, Brother?" Daphne asked.

"So long as it has nothing to do with the inner workings of that thing. I'm displeased to say, but I've been bested by my younger sister," he says as I give him a smirk.

"Just let me fence with you and I'll crush your spirits so much that you will never dream of getting a wife," I tease him.

"It is about the duke," she confesses and I back away a little, not wanting to get in the middle.

"What about the duke?"

"Well Do you know the reason he is so opposed to marriage?"

"Daph–"

"He is your closest friend. Surely you must know things," she pries.

"The things I know are certainly not for your ears," he tells her.

"How foolish of me to ever even wonder about such things," she says, trying to shake it off.

"He barely knew his father. Never knew his mother. Not one sibling. The duke grew up quite differently than us, Daph. In all the 20 years I have known him, he has not mentioned his so-called family even once. He has spent his entire life alone," Anthony explains. How sad. I would be lonely. No matter if or if I don't marry, I will always have Eloise. If she never marries I will move her into my home and take care of her no matter of what my husband may think.