A Missing Case In A Small Town

Start from the beginning

"I hope so, I really hope so," He says as they walk into the school, "I'll see you later"

"Yeah, I'll see you around" He adds waving goodbye at him as he goes over to the news board.

Y/n puts his headphones back on as he starts walking down the corridor, he sees Nancy and Barbara standing with none other than Steve Harrington, Tommy Hagan and Carol Perkins, which he found extremely surprising, after all, Nancy and Barbara are not popular, at all, so it was strange to see them together, he had heard rumours though that Steve was going out with Nancy, so he guessed they must be true because there's no other reasonable option for them to be even near each other. Y/n gets along well with everyone really, he's nice to people and helps them out during lessons so luckily no one had ever really found a reason to bully him, which allowed Y/n to get through his so far 3 years of high school without a problem.

He talked with Nancy sometimes, they weren't necessarily friends but they were more than classmates, especially given the fact he knew the Wheelers quite well. Barbara and Y/n had interacted before but they didn't really talk, he got the feeling Barbara didn't like him very much, but he could never figure out why. He never really spoke to Tommy or Carol except when they needed help during class, but they didn't bother him so he didn't really care about them.

And then there was Steve Harrington, Y/n had known him since middle school, growing up in a small town means you pretty much grow up with everyone you go to high school with, in middle school they didn't really talk, Y/n had his friends and Steve had his, it wasn't really until the start of sophomore year when they started sitting next to each other in science that they started talking. Steve isn't the brighter student, but he has parents that have high expectations for him, so he needs to do good in school, lucky for him he sat next to Y/n. The first thing he said to him when Y/n sat next to him on that first day of sophomore year was "Clarke you're smart, help me out here" and he did exactly that.

Did Y/n think Steve was a bad person? Not really, he had always been kind to him and he actually put effort during lessons when he helped him, so he appreciated that. Did he think the rumours about him were true? Yeah, Steve is famously known around the school not only for being the King of Hawkins high school, but also for making all the girls fall in love with him, and sleeping with them, and as far as Y/n knew that was true, most of the girls he knew had liked him at some point, and he wouldn't be surprised if some of the boys liked him too, but him and his best friend, Robin Buckley weren't some of them. Robin had an entirely different reason for not liking him than Y/n did though, Robin couldn't like Steve, Y/n on the other hand technically could, he just didn't see anything special about him, sure he's good looking, he accepts that, but he's a bit of an asshole to some people, he's way too popular and has a huge ego, and he didn't really like that.

"Oh, god, that's depressing" He heard Steve say as he walked past them, he knew they were talking about Jonathan, he was known around as a freak, but those weren't news to Y/n.

"Should we say something?" Nancy asked them.

"I don't think he speaks," Carol told her, chuckling.

"How much you wanna bet he killed him?" Tommy asked.

Y/n stopped walking, listening to what he said, he was a nice person, and he was calm, but like any decent human being, he had his limits.

He turned around to look at them as he opened his mouth ready to snap at Tommy, but before he could say anything, Steve pushed Tommy shaking his head.

"Shut up," He said, not much, the minimum actually, but his tone did show that even he knew Tommy had gone too far, he knew that in comparison to him telling Tommy something, he would at least listen to Steve, and so he decided to keep on walking away as he put her music back on.