Chapter Seventeen: Thrown to the wolves.

A/N: warning-chapter will under go more editing.

Chapter Seventeen:Thrown to the wolves.

As we got home 'James' a frail middle aged man with a receding hairline, and penguin suit rushed over to the car, carting all of the stuff we bought from the boot of the car onto a trolley. He looked overworked, and like he was going to keel over at any second as he reached for the last bags. Quickly grabbing it before him, I smiled at sympathetically but was met with lifeless eyes- that held no gratitude, and a stench that made me want to hurl.

"Is he okay?" I mouthed to Gen as James left with the trolley- struggling up the steep driveway.

"Well, he is dead." she chuckled.

"Dead?!" I squeaked in a hushed tone, hoping that Gen would admit to it being a sick joke, but instead I was met with a quizzical stare from her, to whom it was no big deal.

Sinking back into the passenger seat I still felt sightly nauseated- the smell was decaying flesh, he was a corpse.

"So what, you have a zombie butler?" I tried to with-hold my dubious tone- but to no prevail.

"Well yes- in mortal terms."

"Don't look so worried though- James has no teeth- or nails. Completely harmless!" 

Her nonchalance didn't surprise me, to her this was the norm.

A zombie butler... wow.

My feet throbbing I was glad to be home, nonetheless.I was never big on shopping and to say that this was probably the biggest spree I had ever been apart of - would be a major understatement. Gen was ruthless, like an energiser bunny on a uranium kick- going into every shop and never stopping once for as much as a glass of water or the much anticipated coffee. 

Putting the key in the ignition, I jumped out of the car before the engine gave its first roar.

"Nuh-uh, no way Gen! What else could I possibly need!" I protested, crossing my arms over my chest.

With an exasperated sigh, Gen shut the engine off again as she saw my desperate expression. 

"Fine, you are such a baby though- you know that?" she chuckled, throwing me the house keys as she got back into the car.

"Mum doesn't trust help to buy food- so I'm off to get some supplies for tonight. Lucy will help you get settled. And just relax, Lueraunt, I and Xavier will all be there right next to you tonight, you will be fine." 

'Fine.'

Somehow it wasn't exactly the word I wold associate being in a room full of super humans - especially when I had no idea what they were.

But the thought of being in a room with Xavier and Lueraunt simultaneously- scared me even more. If there was one thing I couldn't handle it was confrontation, something that seemed to go hand in hand with them in the same room. But as expected my cowardly fears weren't just about them locking horns, but rather that Lueraunt was still angry with me last night, his pained expression after he left never leaving my thoughts.

Like a loyal older brother Lueraunt had been nothing but good to me and after last night I couldn't help but feel guilty for not trusting him enough to ask for the phone call.

What made it worse was his surmising intuition that somehow gave away my every thought...

What if he could read minds?

What if they all could? 

Although it was a long shot, anything seemed possible after the last couple of days. Sifting through the all the thoughts I had about not trusting him, and using him to find out more about his brother who he obviously loathed, I begged for it not to be true- especially if I was planning on surviving the dinner.