Four

Nyeesha Brooks

Today was my big day. There was no one here to support me and I actually had no idea how I'd start my new job tomorrow with no where to live. I was blessed with this opportunity being the lead marketer for this vinyl store, so I wasn't letting it pass me by.

"Nyeesha Brooks," the President of Chi University called me.

I proceeded to walk across the stage as the President continued talking.

"Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Bachelor of Arts in Music, Dean's List with a GPA of 3.8 for all three of her years here. She's completed over 200 hours of community service to the community of Chicago as well. Congratulations Nyeesha on your post graduation journey" she finished as I shook what felt like thousands of hands before I had my hands on my two degrees.

I cheesed hard as hell as I admired my degrees that I thought I'd never get. Since I didn't have any friends or favorite professors to speak to before I left, I decided to leave early. I got up and made my way to the back exiting the ceremony. Just as I was about to open my rental car's driver door, I was slightly pulled back.

"Nyeesha," Chance called me as he coughed.

"Hey Chance, I didn't know you'd be here today." I smiled.

"Why didn't you tell me you graduated today?" He asked as he blew his nose.

"I didn't think you'd care, I honestly didn't text you because I didn't think that you'd actually want to hang out with me," I admitted. "You're a celebrity and all," I said before being cut off.

"If I told you I wanted to hang with you, I meant it. Why would I lie about something like that?" He asked me.

"I don't know," I replied.

"I rushed down here when I heard that Chi University's graduation was today, I usually come every year but I was sick today and wasn't going to go," he told me.

"Oh," I said lowly.

"What are you about to do?" He asked.

"I have to move my stuff to storage and then return this car," I told him truthfully.

"Are you moving or staying in Chicago?" He asked.

"I have no choice but to stay,"

"Can I take you to lunch? We can return the car now and I'll help you move your stuff." He offered.

"Are you sure?" I asked as my stomach growled loudly.

"By the sounds of your stomach we're going," he said as I chuckled. "I'll follow you," he said as he walked three cars over to his.

I didn't even notice his car right there I thought as I got in the driver's seat.

Childish Gambino's BecauseThe Internet played as I pulled out of the parking lot. I drove in the direction of the rental place with Chance a few feet behind me. I arrived a few moments later. I took my CD out and got out of the car going to the back seat. I grabbed my purse, two degrees, a box, and my converse box carrying it to Chance's car.

"You don't mind right?" I asked him as he got out of the car.

"Nah," he said as he took everything out of my hands.

"Thank you," I said as I took my heels off.

I was so relieved because those heels are too small. I already know my feet are going to be swollen later. I grabbed the converse box from his trunk and changed my shoes.

"I'll be right back," I told him walking inside.

I went through the process of returning the car and left quickly.

"Anywhere else?" Chance asked.

"Nah," I responded before he drove down the street.

We arrived in front of an Italian restaurant that I've never heard of. We were greeted to a hostess who was shocked to see Chance The Rapper.

"Table for two?" She asked as her hands trembled.

Chance and I nodded as she led us to a table in the private area.

"Thank you," I said before I sat down.

"Oh you're welcome, your server will be with you all shortly." She said.

"You ever been here?" Chance asked as I nodded my head 'no'. "That's good I didn't want to bring you somewhere you've already been."

"Thank you." I said as I looked over the menu.

I closed it shortly already knowing what I'd get.

"You already know what you want?" He asked.

"Yeah, chicken parmesan."

"That's cool," he said before our server greeted us.

"My name is Mike and I'll be your server for today. What can I start you off with to drink?" He asked.

"Water," I responded.

"With lemons?" He asked.

"Sure," I responded.

"And for you sir?" He asked.

"I'll have water with lemon" Chance told him.

"I'll be back shortly with your drinks" he said before he walked away.

"So what's your plans now?" Chance asked me.

"Well I'm going to be the lead marketer for the vinyl store on 56th starting Monday," I said as the server came back with our drinks.

"Are you all ready to order?" Mike asked as Chance nodded his head.

"Yes," I said. "I'll have the chicken parmesan."

"And for you sir?" Mike asked Chance.

"Chicken and shrimp Cajun Alfredo," he responded.

"Okay I'll be putting your orders in, if you need anything just let me know." Mike said before walking off again.

"How come you weren't with your family at graduation earlier?" Chance asked as he looked deep into my eyes.

"I don't have any family, to be honest my mother, the only person I thought I had, doesn't want anything to do with me" I said.

"I'm sorry" Chance said as he held my hand. "Is this why you were putting your stuff in storage after this?"

"Yeah,"

"Where are you living?" He asked.

I took a few minutes before answering. I stared at the ceiling fighting back tears. This whole situation just made me sad. Life wasn't supposed to be like this.

"To be honest I have no idea, I was going to go down to the shelter. I'm spending my last on this storage unit for a few months until I get my own place," I told him before a tear slipped out of my eye.

"You can stay with me, I honestly don't mind."

"I can't let you do that, I'll be fine I promise." I said as Mike brought our food to the table.