One

Nyeesha Brooks

I hopped right out of the car when my mother put it in park. I practically ran into the organic market in search for breakfast before this final. I was already late and in a rush. This was my last final holding me back from my degree. I grabbed a large Deer Park water bottle that was on sale for 79 cents and grabbed two bananas. This will last me all day. Just as I was walking to the checkout line my mother came in.

"Can you get me this?" She asked as she held up a green smoothie in a glass bottle.

"How much is it?" I asked.

"4.68" she stated.

"I can't afford that, I barely can afford dinner for this week." I admitted.

"Next" the cashier said.

"You can go in front of me," I said to the person behind me noticing that it was Chance The Rapper. "Chance, the Rapper?" I asked in shock as I zoned out.

"Yeah that's me, how are you?" He asked as he placed his fruit on the conveyor belt.

"I'm okay," I blushed. "I can't believe I'm talking to you right now."

"I'm in here all of the time, I'm still a regular nigga." He said as the cashier finished ringing up his stuff. "I can pay for yours, I kind of overheard your conversation with that lady"

"It's okay, I'll manage. And that lady is my mother." I said as I noticed my mother walking out to the car.

"I insist. All you have is a banana and water, I got it." He said as he lightly grabbed the items from my hand. "Include these," he told the cashier.

"Thank you so much,"

"It's no problem. You support me so I should support you. What's your name?" He asked.

"Nyeesha Brooks" I responded grabbing the bananas and water from his hand.

"Nice to meet you, I hope to see you around."

"You will, you have a concert at my school tonight and I'll be there."

"Word? Here's some VIP tickets, bring a friend." He said as he dug into his pocket handing me three VIP passes. "See you tonight," he said as he walked out of the store.

I rushed out behind him hopping in the car on my way to my final. I couldn't believe I just had a conversation with Chance the Rapper.

While taking my final, I could only think about Chano and how much fun I will have tonight. Luckily I finished my final quickly allowing me time to take a nap.

After my nap, I ate the banana and took a shower. After I was done getting dressed, it was 7:36pm. The concert started at 8, so I left my dorm room and walked two minutes to the football stadium. Once I arrived the line wasn't that long. I saw the security guard and showed him my VIP pass. He grabbed, examined it and called my name.

"Nyeesha Brooks, correct?" He asked.

"Yes, that's me."

"Right this way, I'll lead you backstage."

I didn't know VIP meant backstage. After walking through a lot of double doors and security I was in a room full of people.

"You can chill back here until the show starts," the security guy told me.

"My names Pat, I'm Chance's manager." Another guy said to me introducing me to The Social Experiment.

"Oh my gosh, Nico!" I yelled to DonnieTrumpet. "I'm a huge fan," I said.

"Nice to meet you, what's your name?" He asked.

"Nyeesha Brooks," I said as I blushed.

This was all a dream come true.

Chance soon came out of the dressing room with candy.

"Hey Nyeesha, glad you could make it." He said as he extended his hand out to me. "Candy?" He asked.

"Nah I'm good thanks though," I said as I shook my head.

"In honor of us performing Sunday Candy for the first time ever, here's some church candy." He told the gang as he threw candy in the air.

He walked back over to me. "Enjoy yourself and relax," he said as he rubbed my arm. "We go on in about 3 minutes, so you can watch from back here. There's food and drinks over there," he pointed to an area to the right.

"Thanks, is it ok if I call you Chance?" I asked.

"You can call me whatever you want, Chance Bennett, Chancelor, Chance, Chano, whatever you wanna call me." He smiled while he touched his ear.

"Ok, thanks. I'm so excited about this set tonight." I admitted.

"It's going to be amazing," he said as everyone ran out on stage.

The melody to Sunday Candy started to play.

"She could say in her voice in her way that she love me" Chance sang as he swayed side to side holding the mic stand as I sung along quietly to myself.

"You singing too but your grandma ain't my grandma, mine's is hand made, pan fried, sun dried, southside, and beat the devil by a landslide" I sang my favorite part with so much emotion backstage causing Chance to look over at me from the stage smiling.

Towards the end of the song Chance got hype and starting jumping around getting the crowd hype with so much perfection. They performed Home Studio, Wonderful Everyday: Arthur and I Am Very Very Lonely. It was a great personal show. Just when I thought the show was over, the melody to Save Yourself First started playing and he talked over the instrumental.

"I would just like to bring a new friend out here on stage with me," he said as he looked down. "Her name is Nyeesha Brooks and she goes here," he said as he looked at me backstage. "Come on out here Nyeesha." He cheesed.

"Life ain't been 'round here in a minute

Here ain't been 'round my whole life

Mike ain't spin 'round in a minute

The sand just dropped for the last time

But wear that fake smile like a cape

Save yourself first

Light ain't been 'round here in a minute

Darkness been swallowed it up

Chaos been 'round for a minute

Marketed, bottled it up

But wear that fake smile like a cape

Save yourself first" he sang to me as he hugged me tight swaying me from side to side.

"I ain't been 'round here in a minute

But here ain't been round a whole lot

My flesh looked through the peephole

Seen his people, sealed the keyhole and

kept the door locked

Life can't be here, indefinite

Not another minute 'round here

Why can't a minute be spent in a town

that's nowhere round here?

But wear that fake smile like a cape

Save yourself first" he finished singing as he kissed my forehead causing me to cry.

"Thank you Chicago!" He screamed to the crowd as he walked us backstage.