• Prologue •

Legend tells of a gypsy woman who called upon the moon till sunrise

Weeping, she begged for the day her soulmate would arrive for her to wed.

"You'll have your man, one of bronze skin," the moon told her from the sky. "But in exchange, I want the firstborn son that you beget."

The woman agreed, her fear of taking her loneliness to the grave being too much to bear.

"You want to be a mother, then?" She asked the moon out of curiosity. "Can you not find a way to do it for your own?"

The silver moon responded. "No, I cannot, for I am not like you."

The woman nodded and turned her back to leave; however, she stopped to ask one final question.

"What do you intend to do with a boy of skin and bone?"

But the moon did not reply.

-

So it came to pass.

Of bronze father was born a baby boy — with skin as white as the winter snow and silver, blue eyes.

Upon noting the obvious differences between his son and himself, the father concluded he had been taken for a fool.

Believing to be dishonored, he went to his woman, a knife in hand. "Who does the boy belong to? You've cheated me!" And he stabbed her to death.

He then made his way to a mountain, the baby in arms, and there he abandoned him.

-

It is said that on the nights the moon is complete, it is because the boy is in high spirits.

And if he were to weep, the moon will recede into a crescent to make a crib for the little one.