2. lots of staring

Start from the beginning

"Oh cmon, I just came back from running the Maze, everyone else already got a glimpse of the famous Greenie. There's no harm in staring."

"You're right, there's no harm in it, but that doesn't mean it's not annoying."

"Whatever sunshine."

"You're really pissing me off now. You call me that again and I swear I'll-"

"Okay well that was a great dinner, bye bye now, me and Nova are going to go to the bonfire." Nick practically dragged her up and over to the bonfire. Luckily she had finished her dinner a few minutes prior.

The bonfire was in the middle of one of the open spaces in the Glade and there were logs located around to sit on. There was also a circular sandpit to the side.

The two of them sat down on one of the logs facing the fire. The air had gotten increasingly cooler since the sun had gone down so the heat of the bonfire was greatly appreciated.

"You know I wouldn't have actually done anything to him, unless he really did ask for it."

"I know, but Minho was really pushing it. Don't think it would've taken much longer." Nick laughed.

"Yeah..." A few minutes of comfortable silence followed. People had started to float over to the bonfire now that they'd finished eating. She caught eyes with Newt and he strolled over towards them. Nick told her that he had to talk to Alby about something and walked away so it was just the two of them.

Nova looked around, to the wooden buildings that had been built and the forest on the other side of the Glade. "How long have you lived like this?"

"It was a group of us who came first, fifteen exactly, and that was two years ago. It was hard, really hard. Still is, but we're doing better now. Nick got us through the worst of it."

"I'm going to kill whoever put us in here, I swear. What kind of sick monster does this?" Nova said with so much hate that Newt felt compelled to believe her.

"Let's hope you get a chance to, then."

"I will."

"Good that."

By now everyone in The Glade was gathered around the fire. Many eyes were trained on her, which was more irritating than unsettling. She wanted to shout at them to mind their own business but knew that it wouldn't be a good idea, only more stares would follow. A girl could wish.

"Listen up!" Nick shouted from the other side of the bonfire, Alby at his side. All eyes darted to him, and she noticed how - a lot of the younger ones especially - looked up at him with admiration. She could see why, the way he commanded everyone's attention without fail and how patient he was with everyone.

"Right, we have a new Greenie with us and as you all know, it's a girl. Her name is Nova. I wanna make this clear, there will be no exceptions: anyone do anything to her without her consent and you WILL be banished." He paused, glancing at Nova. "We don't know why they sent a girl down but don't think too much of it, the creators like to mess with us. And now, on with the bonfire!" Everyone cheered and went back to their conversations.

Newt got up and announced that he was going to get her the 'best drink she'll ever remember having' whatever that meant.

Nova looked around at the faces surrounding her. For the situation, they didn't seem so upset. There was laughing, singing and even dancing. Of course she couldn't see into their heads, but on the outside it seemed like they were all really close, a weird disfigured family, but a family nonetheless.

"Here's your long awaited drink, Greenbean." Newt dramatically exclaimed, sitting back down and handing her the cup.

"That looks disgusting." She said, taking it anyway.