A Kiss For Good Luck

Start from the beginning

"We are. Of course, there are a lot of conversations that need to happen before anyone signs anything, but I want to introduce myself and give Eddie my card," he said, holding out a thin, white business card. Eddie took it with great care, pressing it to his chest and staring at Steve like he was waiting for him to say that they were dreaming. Devon shakes both of their hands before excusing himself, and Eddie promptly loses his mind.

"A fucking record company is interested in us!" He screams into the night, showing the rest of the band the card.

"I can't fucking believe it. I mean, this is what we've always wanted and now it's right in front of us," Eddie whispers that night, fingers trailing along Steve's back. He shifts his head up against Eddie's chest, smiling softly.

"I'm so proud of you," he says for the hundredth time that night.

"I'm so happy that you were there for it. I mean, every song I've written after high school has been Steve-inspired in some way or another. I mean, Sex on Fire? Obviously our first single, and that is entirely Steve-inspired," he said.

"That is a good one," Steve smiled, tracing invisible patterns on Eddie's chest. "The world is not ready for you, Eddie Munson. Just don't go falling in love with any groupies," he teased.

"Are you kidding me? You think anyone will ever hold a candle to Steve Harrington?" He pushed Steve onto his back so he could dip his head down and kiss his neck. "I could never love another person the way I love you. It is utterly impossible," he whispered against his skin, breath warm. "None of this would be possible without you," he said as he guided Steve's legs around his waist, his hair falling around his face as he trailed kisses along his chest. "You and your blind faith in me is the only reason I haven't given up yet." He felt the vibrations of Steve's gasp as he pushed inside, eyebrows scrunching as Steve's legs tightened around his waist.

"It's not blind faith," Steve corrected, brushing Eddie's hair back with a shaky breath as they rocked together, pushing and pulling their pleasure. "You're an amazing musician, I have faith in that."

"God, you telling me I'm an amazing musician while I'm fucking you is doing wonders for my ego," he grinned.

"Shut up," Steve caught Eddie's lips in a kiss, clumsy and awkward with the way they were smiling. He wrapped his arms around Eddie's shoulders, burying his fingers in his hair and basking in the feeling of a perfect moment. Of this perfect moment, where nothing exists outside of their bed and the pleasure they've wrapped themselves in.

- 6 months later - 

Steve's eyes open once the deadbolt engages, his heart stuttering for a second before he hears the telltale sound of Eddie's guitar case touching the ground. He sighs as he sits up, tilting his head until his neck pops.

"You know you don't have to wait up for me," Eddie sighed, toeing his boots off before walking to the couch where Steve was rubbing the sleep from his eyes. The cable box read 2:33, and Steve pouted down at where Eddie was kneeling in front of him.

"I can't help it," he said, reaching out to brush his fingers through Eddie's hair. Eddie tilted his head into the touch, his eyes slipping shut for a second. "What kept you out so late anyway?" He asked, even though he could smell the liquor on him.

"Celebratory drinks," Eddie admitted.

"What were you celebrating?" Steve asked, hand pausing at the end of Eddie's hair. Eddie stared at Steve's lap for a second, at the blanket that's usually draped over the back of the couch and the Hawkins Community College sweatshirt that's bunched from when he sat up. Then he looked up at Steve, his lips tight.

"Corroded coffin was invited to open for The Anarchists on tour," he said.

"Jesus Christ, Eddie, that's amazing!" Steve smiled.

"We'd have to leave this weekend," Eddie added quietly. Steve's excitement died down, his smile slipping.

"That's," he swallowed on a dry throat. "That's fast. That's only... only two days away," he whispered.

"Yeah," Eddie nodded, looking back down at Steve's lap. Steve's chest ached at the guilty look on Eddie's face, in a moment where he should be through the roof with excitement and anticipation, he's guilty. Steve pushed his own feelings aside and cups Eddie's face with a soft smile.

"Eddie, this is a good thing," he assured. "It's sudden and it's going to take some getting used to but we knew this day would come."

"I just didn't think about how long I would be gone. I mean, this tour is 8 months, how am I supposed to leave everyone for 8 months? I can't leave you for 8 months," he said, shoulders deflating.

"Do you know how fast time will fly when you're traveling and playing shows every night?" Steve blinks tears away, running his thumbs across Eddie's cheekbones in a soothing back and forth pattern. "Time will fly, baby, and you'll call me as often as you can and tell me how incredible life on tour is."

"Maybe you can come with me," Eddie whispered.

"I can't," Steve sighed. "One of us has to stay here for the rugrats, and I can't just take 8 months off of work." Eddie nodded, lowering his head into Steve's lap. Steve quickly wiped his tears away before burying his hands in Eddie's hair. "Just promise me you'll be careful, okay? I know sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll is the motto but you have someone at home and I will beat the shit out of you if you start doing drugs." Eddie laughed softly in his lap.

"You know I'm not one for conformity and peer pressure. Will you promise to send me nudey pictures when I miss you?" He picked his head up to pout.

"I'll take some before you leave and tape them to the inside of your guitar case," Steve promised, cupping Eddie's cheeks and leaning down for a kiss.

"Mm, you're so good to me," Eddie pushed him back onto the couch, shedding his jacket and pants before laying down beside him. He tugged the blankets up to their waists, wrapping his arms around Steve. He pressed a kiss to his forehead, sighing shakily against it. "I'm gonna miss you like crazy, pretty boy." Steve squeezed his eyes shut, trying his hardest not to cry as he tucked his face into Eddie's chest.

"I'm gonna miss you so much more," he whispered.