HARD TO FORGIVE

MEW'S POV 

Phi San , Martha Aunty and the attending physician went first and entered the room . Me and Gulf waited near the door with the rest . Gulf was shivering and holding my arm tightly . I put my arm around his shoulder and brought him in my embrace . 

"SSShhh... baby .....Everything is going to be alright . I am with you . You have waited for this day for so long . Let everything out ok ? But also remember that she is sick . " I kissed his forehead and said  " Come on my brave boy , let's meet my mother in law . " 

He just nodded . 

We entered the room . Everyone became silent . A fair  , thin lady with a few strands of silvery grey hair sat on the bed . Gulf froze seeing her . 

"What you are saying is purely unbelievable . I left my Gulf just an hour ago in front of that orphanage with the green gate , I can't seem to remember the way back . O my God . My Gulfie is only 5 years old . He must be terrified . Officer please help me find my son . I beg you ." Gulf's mom kept begging Phi San as he was in his uniform .

"Lucy , first calm yourself . Then we will talk about your son . " said the physician 

After drinking a little water she spoke again with a slight smile . " My son is five years old . Today is his birthday . He is wearing a red T shirt and red shorts . He love orange flavored candies . I have to buy some before I reach the orphanage . " 

Gulf had become a crying mess in my arms . Martha Aunty went near Gulf's mom and calmly said to her . 

"Lucy.... I am Martha , the matron of the orphanage where you left Gulf  , are these your Gulf's clothes ?" She gave a packet carrying Gulf's belongings including his birth certificate and pictures of Gulf taken in the orphanage . 

She hurriedly opened the packet , taking out Gulf's T shirt and bringing it to her face and kissing it over and over again ."  Gulf ...my baby I am sorry , mamma is sorry , I will never leave you even for a second . Where is my Gulf ma'am ? Please take me to my Gulf . " 

"Lucy , your son is not a 5 year old any more . He is a handsome 22 year old married man studying to be a doctor . After you left him in front of my orphanage ,You had an accident and lost your memories . That incident took place 17 years ago . Your son is a gem . Would you like to meet him  ? " Martha Aunty asked her and she kept nodding. Aunty held her hand and brought her to us . Gulf was still sobbing hiding his face on my chest . 

I made some distance by holding his shoulders and wiped his tears . I cupped his face with my palms and told him to meet his mom . 

" Swadee kha , Mae . This is Gulf . " As soon as I said that , Gulf's mom hugged him tightly and started peppering his face with kisses . Gulf had become numb . He didn't speak a single word and just hugged his mother . Every one in the room had tears in their eyes . 

I wanted to give  them both some time alone . As I started to leave the room , the rest had already left , Gulf held my hand tightly and I had to stay put . After some time he released his hug from his mom and hugged me instead . 

" Phi , ask her why did she leave me ?" Those were the first words he said after meeting his mother . 

His mom hearing Gulf , kneeled on the floor, cupping her face with both her hands started crying loudly . And in a few minutes lost her consciousness . Gulf was no better . His face had become pale and was on the verge of breakdown . I carried him to another room while the physician treated his mother . 

" Where is Phi Knott , Phi Win and Phi Bright ? " Gulf asked after calming a little . Seems like he was ready to talk . When they entered Gulf opened his arms asking for a hug and they happily obliged .

" When some one loves some body , they stick through thick and thin . They fight for each other , face problems together . Trust one another that no matter what they will always have each other's back . They would never abandon each other . Just like Phi Mew ...he never abandoned me , fought the world for me . I will follow him blind fold wherever he takes me , I trust him with my life . I love all you Phis like my own brothers and trust you the same . But......." Gulf said and we quietly listened 

I did not know where Gulf was going with his words .

"....I don't think I will be able to bring myself to trust her soon . She left me when I couldn't even find my way back home . I am not being able to erase that hurt , that helplessness , that loneliness , the nights I cried myself to sleep after waiting at the gate for the entire day hoping that she would come . My innocent mind did not give up on her until the day Lizzie was left in front of gate . It was then I understood how cruel this world was . "

Knott rubbed his back and said in a soft voice " Its ok Gulf , just give yourself some time " 

I made him lay down and combed his hair with my fingers . Exhaustion and stress had made him very weak and he went to sleep after a few minutes . 

Gulf refused to meet his mom saying he needed a little more time to face her again . I didn't force him and went to meet her myself . 

"Mae , I hope by now  you know that I am your  son in law . Gulf's husband . He is very stressed right now as all this was very sudden . I know this is very hard for you too . I request you to give Gulf some time . You yourself have not recovered fully . The doctors here know your condition well so it is better for you to continue your treatment here . I have given my number to your doctor . Please think me to be your son too and call me if you need anything . Or if you want to here Gulf's voice . We will visit soon . "

Mae hugged me and said she would wait for us . 

Gulf had tears in his eyes as we drove back home . A lot of work has to be done to pacify Gulf , I thought to myself but right now it was more important to bring Gulf at ease . Rest can wait ......

****************************************************************************************

THANK YOU FOR READING . 

GOODNIGHT 

DISHA