⭐️⭐️⭐️

"Do I have to move right away?" I wondered, biting on my nails.

"The sooner the better, so you get used to the city," Adam replied, "but your contract officially begins next month, so I guess you have a couple of weeks."

My eyes widened. "That's ... that's such a short time." I dropped back against the couch. "Barely any time to do anything."

Adam chuckled, sitting beside me. "You're not going to war, sweetheart. It's just London."

"Easy for you to say, I've never even set foot outside the country."

He frowned. "Wait, really?" He seemed taken aback. "I mean, you're almost 26, how have you not traveled yet?"

I rolled my eyes: "Three simple reasons: money, time, opportunity."

"Come on, Viv, flights are cheap nowadays, if you know where to look. And if you don't have time in your 20s, then will you ever have it?"

I scoffed. "Adam, do you have any idea the kind of dictator I worked for?" Sheryl would barely give me any days off, and I never really argued because I was afraid to lose my job.

Adam chuckled, nodding, as he sipped his drink. "Right. Well, just so you feel more at ease, know that my ex-boss in London is pretty chill."

"Really?" I was surprised, I won't deny it. Is there such a thing as a chill boss?

"And pretty hot." Adam winked mischievously.

We both laughed for a moment, but then I recalled one small detail: "I won't be at your wedding, will I?" I pouted a little. "Pity."

"You might." He shrugged.

"I thought you hadn't set a date yet."

He looked a bit nervous as he spoke, as if not convinced of what he was saying: "We don't want something big, we might do it this weekend."

I gasped out loud, pretty much jumping in my seat. "Are you serious?!"

Adam nodded, avoiding my gaze. "Yeah, why not?" He didn't sound really nonchalant.

"Adam, as long as I've known you, you have always wanted a big fairy tale wedding." I pointed out. "Even before gay marriage was legalized in Maine, you were utterly sure you wanted a great ceremony!"

He smiled – a bit sadly, if you ask me. "Yeah, well, that was a long time ago." He cleared his throat, standing up. "I just want to marry Maggie as soon as possible."

"Why the rush?" I inquired, because it really sounded odd. This Maggie girl just appeared out of nowhere. Up until a few months ago, Adam was in a really happy relationship with his roommate in London, this Italian guy named Simone, then he comes here out of the blue, saying he's marrying a woman. At first I thought, ok, maybe in his late 20s he realized he's actually bisexual, but the more I hear about this Maggie person, the more suspicious I am.

"Why not?" Adam let out a nervous chuckle that definitely gave him away.

I eyed him carefully, trying to read through him. Adam Knight is usually a really cheerful type, but whenever the Maggie subject is brought up, he clouds over a little. And what's up with the fact that we haven't met her yet? They came to the States together, yet he's keeping her hidden. They're about to get married, yet he hasn't known her long, he cannot have known her long, since up until a few months ago he was with Simone. They don't even live together, he's living with Chris for now, while Maggie is in Maine, apparently. Why, I have no clue, since they're getting married in New York and she has no relatives in Maine, he does.