Ares is carrying me bridal style towards the elevators and pushes the button with his elbow. His one arm is underneath my knees while the other one is underneath my back. My head is against his shoulder and I'm surrounded by his comforting scent.

The nostalgic scent makes me think of days spent in a faraway forest, reading a book while the sunlight comes through the leaves of the trees above me.

A scent that's musky and calming.

The ding of the elevator sounds and then we step inside.

"What were you doing out there, falling asleep? You're lucky I'm the one to run into you," he murmurs into my hair.

"You don't know what could've happened if it had been anyone else," he then adds.

"Didn't mean to," is all I say and wince at another stab of pain. "Everything hurts. Couldn't move."

His grip tightens on me. "What? What happened? Are you sick? Do you need me to call a doctor or something? Are you hurt?"

I shake my head. "My period."

Then, it's silent for a few seconds.

"Oh."

That makes me chuckle. It's always funny to see how men react to this. They forget that people with uteruses go through this every month.

"Do you need anything? Like uh... pads or tampons? I don't know what you use," he mutters sheepishly as he steps into the hallway.

In a few long strides, he's reached my door and I quickly take out my card and get us inside.

He gently puts me down on my bed after having shut my door. "Could you give me my toilet bag, please?" I ask Ares once I sit up in bed.

He leaves my side and goes to retrieve my bag from my suitcase. "Thank you," I bring out weakly and push myself up from bed.

Ares goes to support me, but I swat his hand away. "I need to be able to do this myself," I let out with a faint chuckle.

But I sway on my feet.

"Fuck that shit," Ares says and lifts me back up, carrying me towards the bathroom.

"Is it this bad every month?" he frowns once we're in the bathroom and I'm seated on the counter.

He lets his hands rest beside me, looking down at me with a frown on his face while running his tongue over his bottom lip.

"Because I'm on birth control, I regulate my period, so I only get it every three months," I clarify and wince when I get off the counter. "And yes, it's this bad every time I'm on my period."

I take the bag and rummage through it, finding a tampon and putting it to the side.

When I look back at Ares, I expect him to cringe at the sight of it or even turn away, but he just keeps his eyes focused on me, with that frown still in its place.

"I uh... I want to shower," I let him know and awkwardly motion to the shower stall. He nods and goes to take a seat on the toilet seat, facing away from the shower and giving me my privacy.

"You could also just leave the room," I elaborate as I turn on the shower.

"You could faint. I'd rather be here in case something happens."

Something about that sentence has my heart nearly beating out of my chest with stupid hope and love.

Shrugging, I take off all my clothes and step into the shower stall, letting the water cascade down me.