Chapter 2: Darkness Comes to my Door

To the Greeks, their stories' heroes weren't always the good guys. Everyone had motivations for their actions; while some acted selfishly or in a way that didn't encompass their ethics, the concept of good and evil was hardly present in the original stories.

The stories themselves changed because of how cultures perceive things according to their personal beliefs.

Christianity unlike Greek Mythology has a very clear distinction between good and evil. The Romans adopted Christianity across their massive borders. This was later expanded even further by people like Vladimir and Charlemagne.

After all the western powerhouses adopted Christianity, the philosophy soon spread worldwide. Including this concept of good and evil.

Not only through Christianity, but many other religions have their own idea of good and evil. This means that good and evil are everywhere you look.

After considering this, one must ask, am I good or evil?

It might be simple for most people... I try to be a good person; I follow the ethics of my society, I give money to the homeless and feed strays; I can't be evil.

What if you grew up somewhere that made giving help to others mean you starve. What if acting good-natured made surviving extremely difficult. What if sparing someone means they come back and threaten you and those you care about again?

Looking back at my actions I have no choice but to admit I am evil.

What does this mean? Does it mean that in the grand spiritual battle all good-natured people are naturally against me?

If so, the obvious move is to swim closer to the light and escape the heavy darkness I drown in.

But... If I have spent my entire life swimming in the darkness, have I evolved to breathe? Can I survive outside of this place? If I survive, will it be because of an emotional life support provided by Honami?

Dropping into this new world alone has smothered me with different thoughts and conflicts we never studied in the White Room.

*Ding*

Huh?

*Ding*

*Ding*

*Ding*

I get up to stop this obnoxious sound.

Let me guess, assassins? Enforces? My father himself?

Nope, it was a loli with a cane.

"Ummm, who are you?"

"I'm shocked you don't remember me... We are childhood friends after all."

"I don't know who you are."

"But I know who you are."

"How much do you know about me?"

"I know about the White Room"

"I see, and what will you do with this information."

"Nothing, I just figured if I knew one of my classmates beforehand, I should talk to them in person."

"I see, Advanced Nurturing High?"

"Exactly."

This girl entered my home immediately after we finished that basic introduction. She walked to my clean kitchen and opened the garbage can.

"I wasn't expecting a teenage boy to eat the best, but cup noodles and fast food? You need to eat properly Ayanokoji-kun." She rolled up her sleeves and started washing her hands, "when did you eat last?"

"Breakfast"

"Then I will make you dinner."

She began using my kitchen without hesitation and started preparing food. I watched her every move, assertively barging in here and claiming to go to high school with me, and then making food... Suspicious.

"Relax Ayanokoji-kun; I am not going to poison you... here, come search me."

I oblige and start patting her down, feeling her pockets and looking everywhere. She was trying to rile me up because anytime I got near a sensual area she would blush and squirm.

Well, no weapons of any sort. I took all the necessary precautions, but she was just odd.

"I have followed your story closely since you escaped that place. But it would seem that your habits are changing, and your opponents are walking away less and less damaged every time. This is infuriating your father. He doesn't want his greatest creation going soft."

"So you are here to somehow draw me back into that lifestyle?"

"No way, Ayanokoji-kun. I just took advantage of the fact you were less likely to break my fragile little body on sight."

"You've had your questions, and I have mine. What is your name?"

"Oops, I never seem to have introduced myself." with a lift of her skirt and an eloquent bow, "Sakayanagi Arisu at your service."

Something about her differed from Honami; Sakayanagi would break an opponent after a battle, while Honami would try to befriend their opponent after one.

After this thought an idea came across my mind, these two are the perfect symbols for this struggle I face, are they not?

I will spend the next three years with them. I can learn more about this so-called good and evil by interacting and living with them.

Will Sakayanagi because my fellow shark in the sea of darkness? Or will I frolick in the fields when Honami brings me back to the light?

I wonder, whoever is reading my story out there. What do you think is my fate?