"Go ahead and prove to everyone that the Elites are abusing their powers. Prove to everyone that you guys need to be disbanded because you think you're above everyone and are even using the Dean to solve your problems." Thomas grinned. "The whole school dislikes you. Make them hate you and join our side. That'll make it a lot easier to get rid of you."

Nash narrowed his eyes. He stepped towards Thomas and they were exactly the same height. They stared at each other for a moment, seeming ready to knock some sense into each other.

"Get out," Nash hissed. "I have better things to do than argue with a dimwit like you."

Thomas shook his head, but he stepped back. He waved towards his friends who went to his side. "Let's get going guys. But Nash Andrews, this won't be the last time you see us, so watch your back. We won't let the Elites win this year."

Thomas turned around and stormed off with his crew following him, shooting glares at all five of the Elites. Chloe gulped. It had been too tense and Elijah fell to his knees, looking like he was fighting back tears and Sophia rushed forward. She crouched down next to him and hugged him.

"I have extra clothes," Caiden said, joining Sophia and Elijah on the ground. "Come Elijah, you should get out of those clothes. I just... I just can't believe they've stooped to bullying."

Caiden seemed horrified and Chloe felt the same way. She could hardly think straight, thinking about Thomas's threats and the way they had bullied Elijah. Sweet, shy Elijah, who had done nothing wrong.

"Thank you, Nash," Elijah whispered, hugging himself. He moved to stand. "I... I don't know what has gotten into them. They just told me to come out here and they started throwing food at me. They said I thought I was better than them but look at me now, but I never did anything to them! I don't think I'm better than anyone."

"Ignore them," Nash spat, still furious. "They have no lives. Pathetic wastes of spaces."

Nash trembled with anger. His jaw clenched - his hands curled into fists. Chloe stared at him, stunned by how angry he was, but she understood. The more she got to know him, the more she understood that Nash would always get mad at injustice. He wanted an honest and moral world, but the world was often the exact opposite of that.

Nash's eyes slid towards Chloe and he froze at her gaze. She should look away, but instead, her eyes softened and Nash uncurled his fists. He stepped back, seeming to realize how angry he'd been, and he said nothing.

"Let's all watch each other's backs from now on," Caiden said, wrapping an arm around Elijah's shoulders. "They'll be back. They won't leave us alone until they get what they want, so we should all be careful. Text us if anything goes wrong, okay?"

They all nodded. It was horrible, but Chloe knew that she had to be more careful at school from now on. With Thomas and his crew seeking revenge, no one was safe.

"How are you doing today?" Nash asked.

Chloe's eyes slid to his and she froze. He was staring at her as if no one else existed.

"Oh, I'm feeling a lot better." Chloe flushed and grew more embarrassed. She kept her gaze on Nash, pretending no one else was around. "Thank you for yesterday."

Sophia and Caiden glanced at each other, looking curious and Chloe's blush grew. What was going on? Why was she so embarrassed?

"I'm glad," Nash said. "I really am."

Chloe blushed even harder and she nodded. Sophia giggled slightly and Caiden grinned, and Chloe sighed, her eyes falling to the ground. She found herself fearing the future.

*****

Chloe finished washing the dishes while her dad sat on the couch, finishing his own pasta. She felt a lot better since yesterday - almost completely healed and she grew relieved. Guilt had eaten away at her when she couldn't do anything for her dad. She had felt so useless, even though she had no control over her health.

"That boy from yesterday," Chloe's dad said, surprising her. "He's a nice boy. He took care of you, right?"

Chloe flushed. Stunned, she couldn't believe her dad had brought up Nash. She didn't know how to respond.

"Um, yeah he helped me yesterday," Chloe said. "But I feel bad... I burdened him. He stayed with me for hours."

"Am I a burden to you?"

Chloe whirled around, stunned by her dad's question. He had stopped eating to stare at her.

"No, of course you're not a burden! Why would you even ask that?"

"Then you're not a burden to anyone either," her dad said. "When you're sick, it's okay to ask for help. You first instinct shouldn't be guilt."

Chloe looked away - back at the sink with shame. She hadn't meant to make her dad feel bad. Just when it came to herself, she never wanted to burden anyone. She never wanted to make anyone feel stressed over her.

"I know this has been a lot for you and I wish I could do more to help you, but Chloe, it's okay to ask your friends for help. It's okay to admit that you need help," her dad said.

"No," Chloe whispered. "They have their own problems to worry about. I don't need to bother them with mine."

"When someone loves you, they are always willing to help. You won't be burdening them. They will want to help you because that's what you do when you love someone. You help them through hard times."

Chloe found herself tearing up. She couldn't even respond to her dad's words because he was right. But why? Why did she always feel so burdensome.

"You should worry about yourself sometimes," her dad said gently. "Instead of worrying about what others think of you, worry about how you're feeling. I often worry you're one thread away from a breakdown."

"I'm fine, dad. Seriously, I can handle everything by myself," she said, growing defensive. "You don't need to worry about me."

"I worry about you all the time and I just want to be there for you, honey. I'm saying this because I care."

"You are there for me. You always have been. You're the best dad I could have asked for and I'm being honest when I say I'm fine. Don't spend anymore time worrying about me because I'm really, truly okay."

Her dad sighed. He shook his head, his hair framing his face with its length. Chloe took note that she'd cut it next weekend.

"You should talk to someone, Chloe. Whether it's a professional or a friend, I think you should because you've been through a lot this year," her dad said. "But, I won't force you to do anything you don't want to do. I just think you should at least think about it."

Chloe didn't say anything. She wanted to argue further, to try to convince her dad she was fine, but deep down, she knew she wasn't. Not after the last few weeks with Nash. Not after her realization that this was all too much sometimes.

But, she didn't want her dad to worry and she didn't want to bother her friends with her struggles. So Chloe simply nodded, pretending she'd do it, and went back to washing the dishes. And she hoped the topic would never come up again. Because she wouldn't change. She wouldn't burden anyone. And she wouldn't lie to her dad either about whether or not she was okay and seeking help.