Chapter 115

Chapter 115: Making Tofu

When Chen Xiao Cai came back from the camp, he heard the news that Chen Xiao Mi was pregnant.

"Big Brother, are you pregnant again?" Chen Xiao Cai asked excitedly.

Lu Lin nodded, "Yes, he is!"

Chen Xiao Cai had an old head on young shoulders, but when he heard the great news that his brother was pregnant again, he jumped happily like a child.

Chen Xiao Cai said excitedly, "Great, I'm about to have another nephew."

Lu Lin smiled. People in this era didn't care about sound child rearing, they believed in the more children and the more blessings. Even the poor would choose to have more children.

Lu Lin looked at Chen Xiao Cai and there was a hint of ridicule in his eyes, "You and Shen Chi will have babies too."

Chen Xiao Cai scratched his head and smiled shyly.

Although Chen Xiao Cai and Shen Chi were engaged early and got married early, Chen Xiao Mi suggested them they should slow down. Chen Xiao Cai listened to Chen Xiao Mi and hadn't tasted the forbidden fruit.

Lu Lin looked at Chen Xiao Cai and thought to himself, 'Did I just say the wrong thing? Mi once has asked them to slow down, I'm not sure whether they have done it or not.'

Chen Xiao Cai looked at Lu Lin and guessed what Lu Lin was thinking. He lowered his head in embarrassment.

Lu Lin looked at Chen Xiao Cai's expression and thought to himself, 'Don't worry, Cai, soon.'

Lu Lin and his group moved into the newly renovated house after they had ventilated all the rooms.

The renovation was done a bit hastily. Compared to the house Lu Lin and Chen Xiao Mi lived in when they were in Forest Town, it was a little less exquisite, but it was so spacious.

"There isn't even a chair in the Prefecture Yamen," Lu Lin shook his head and thought that in a few days, he needed to find a carpenter and order a few chairs.

Chen Xiao Mi said helplessly, "Maybe they had nice chairs, but they were stolen."

Lu Lin nodded and said, "Probably." Lu Lin thought to himself, 'Everyone said that being a government official is good but being a government official in this county is pretty trying! The people here don't particularly respect me or anything, but since we've chosen this path, we better proceed without hesitation.'

......

Chen Xiao Mi looked at Lu Lin's sketches said, "This stone millstone is so big!"

Lu Lin nodded and said, "Only big stone millstones can produce fine powder, and the tofu made by it will be delicious. Small and light millstones won't do."

In this era, a stone millstone was not a novelty. People used stone millstone to grind coarse food grain, otherwise they would be rather unpalatable. Take coarse glutinous millet for an example, it was hard to swallow unless they were ground into fine powder.

As far as Lu Lin knew, there were a few millstones in Sha County. Basically, there was one millstone at the entrance to every village. If anyone wanted to use them, they could just go to the entrance to the village and waited for their turn. Lu Lin wanted to have access to the millstone anytime he wanted, so he ordered one from a stonemason with two taels of silver.

"When can I eat the tofu thing you mentioned?" asked Chen Xiao Mi, smacking his lips.

Chen Xiao Mi's appetite recently had been quite hard to predict. He didn't have any cravings for meat. Lu Lin finally bought meat and bones and stewed a hearty soup with them. Chen Xiao Mi frowned on smelling the soup, he wasn't able to even try the soup.