What had shocked Grandma Lu more was the villagers all listened to Chen Xiao Mi despite the fact that Lu Cheng Yu was a Xiucai now.

Tang said sullenly, ” Chen Xiao Mi seems to have promised them some benefits.”

“What exactly did Chen Xiao Mi say?”

Tang hesitated for a moment and said, “I heard that Chen Xiao Mi said that whoever doesn’t lend the cart to us can get one tael of silver from him at the end of the year. It was said that Chen Xiao Mi asked the Village Head to spread the word.”

Grandma Lu turned utterly discomfited on hearing that, “This is too much. The Village Head shouldn’t have spread the word! That bastard Chen Xiao Mi has actually come up with such a way to deal with us!”

Tang was angry as well, and she was worried at the same time. ‘If the villagers all listen to Chen Xiao Mi and refuse to lend us the ox-carts, how inconvenient it is going to be for us to go to town! What’s more, this is such a slap on the face! We don’t have any ally in the village!’

Grandma Lu gritted her teeth and said, “No, Chen Xiao Mi is bullying us. I have to go and ask the Village Head what exactly Chen Xiao Mi has said.”

Tang grabbed Grandma Lu hand and said, “Mother! Think twice before you leap!”

Tang knew her mother-in-law very well, she was sure that her mother-in-law would only make matters worse. Tang didn’t want to offend the Village Head over nothing. Grandpa Lu was able to cope with the aftermath of the disaster caused by Grandma Lu when he was healthy, but now his medical condition had greatly limited him.

Grandma Lu excitedly, “Let go of me, I demand an explanation from the Village Head. I cannot just ignore it.”

Tang looked at Grandma Lu and regretted for telling her the truth. However, seeing how indignant Grandma Lu was, she didn’t dare to stop her anymore in case Grandma Lu vented her anger on her.

……

In the Zhang Family.

Zhang Jin looked at Zhang Cheng and said, “Father, I told you earlier that you shouldn’t meddle in the Lu family’s affairs.”

Zhang Cheng pulled a long face and said, “I didn’t expect things to end like this.”

Zhang Cheng went to the commercial house to talk to Chen Xiao Mi, but Chen Xiao Mi thumbed his nose at Lu Cheng Yu, he showed zero interest in supporting this Xiucai financially. Not only that, but Chen Xiao Mi also asked him to spread the word about the ox-cart.

Zhang Cheng came back hesitated again and again, and he kept the message to himself. However, the news was spread by some other villagers who were working in town.

A villager who had a mule cart came to ask Zhang Cheng whether the news was true or not, Zhang Cheng had to confirm that it was true. The villager kept complaining that the Village Head should have had spread the word like Chen Xiao Mi said, because he could really use that one tale of silver as some additional income.

Zhang Cheng felt so wronged, he just said even though Chen Xiao Mi had said that, no one could be sure whether he was joking or being serious.

The villager left in a huff saying that he deserved to know about the message no matter it was true or not.

However, the message somehow ended up being ‘the Village Head suggested the villagers not lend their ox-carts to the Lus’.

Grandma Lu could no longer sit at home and pretend everything was okay, she marched down to Zhang Cheng’s house and accused him of bullying her.