Lu Lin decided to just hide in his room and not receive any guest.

Granny Shen sighed as she saw Lu Lin had to hide in his room to avoid the nuisance. She had been meaning to go back to the village for her veggie patch, but when she heard about the corvee, she changed her mind.

Granny Shen knew that in the eyes of the villagers, she was fortunate. If she didn't lend them money, her reputation would be ruined. So the best way was to hide in town just like Lu Lin.

......

The autumn rain fell day after day without ceasing. And after that, winter finally arrived.

Chen Xiao Mi sat on the bed and said, "The people in town really know how to enjoy life!"

When Chen Xiao Mi lived in the village, he used burn firewood to keep warm. And now he was using charcoal fire like other townsfolk. The difference was firewood was free and charcoal was not. But charcoal fire and a stove made winter cozier. Chen Xiao Mi looked at the stove and felt so happy, he had no idea winter could be this cozy and enjoyable until now.

Lu Lin walked in and said, "It gets cold overnight!"

Chen Xiao Mi nodded, "Yeah! During this period of time, the store's business seemed to be a bit sluggish."

Lu Lin crossed his arms and said, "Maybe because the weather is cold, no one likes to go out on such bitter days."

In this time and space, winter could be very dangerous for a lot of people. If someone accidentally caught a cold, the treatment would cost a lot of money, and there was a high risk that the patient couldn't survive the cold. Therefore, people would generally avoid going out in winter, especially poor people.

Lin Xiu'er gave birth to a son recently. Villagers preferred boys to girls. Grandma Lu and Grandpa Lu were happy to have one more grandson, but this newborn wasn't the first grandson in the family, so they were that thrilled.

Tang had high hopes for Li Fang Yue's belly, she hoped it was a boy, not a girl.

Tang had been nice to Li Fang Yue recently and Li Fang Yue knew it very well that Tang was nice to the baby instead of herself. Li Fang Yue felt so stressed after Lin Xiu'er had a son.

Grandma Lu had high expectations for Li Fang Yue, for the baby in her belly was Grandma Lu's first great grandkid. After Li Fang Yue was pregnant, Grandma Lu gave her so much foods or medicines of highly nutritious value. But all those foods and medicines had backfired, the baby was oversized, and Li Fang Yue suffered a difficult labor. Li Fang Yue endured great pain for a day and a night, and she gave birth to a girl.

Grandma Lu's face darkened as she saw it was a girl.

Tang was also greatly disappointed. Lu Cheng Yu was not very young, a lot of his peers had sons already. Tang yearned for a grandson!

Lu Cheng Yu preferred a boy too. After his daughter was born, he only glanced at her, he didn't even hold her.

Li Fang Yue was not happy that it was a girl, but she loved her baby no matter what.

......

Chen Xiao Mi asked casually as he nibbled on the sweet potato chips, "Li Fang Yue gave birth to a girl, have you heard that?"

"Lu Cheng Yu must be disappointed," Lu Lin said.

Chen Xiao Mi blinked and said, "I agree."

"However, Lu Cheng Yu and Li Fang Yue are still young, I'm sure they can have a son sooner or later, I also heard the baby girl is very chubby and cute. But Li Fang Yue has gotten very fat, I'm worried for her."