I throw my plate to the floor. “That’s still not an answer!”

            He doesn’t respond.

            I’m so confused and angrythat I can’t bear to look at them. I stare down at my shattered plate. There’s only one thing I can think of to say next. “I want to see my parents. Now. I want to really meet them.”

            I gaze at them defiantly, demanding my way. They look shocked. Then Bud smiles at Estelle. “I see no harm in a boy meeting his parents. Do you?”

            She shakes her head and wipes away her tears, then smiles sweetly at me. “They’re going to love you!” She takes out the photo that they showed me last night, the one of my mom pregnant with me. “They already know they’re photo travelers, so don’t worry. They won’t be surprised when you show up—but just imagine what it’ll be like for them to see the baby they’re expecting all grown up!”

            I feel the nerves in my stomach twitching. I hold the old photo in my hand watching my parents for a few moments. I can’t ignore how pretty my mom was.

            “Don’t worry,” Bud reassures me. “We’ll be here waiting.”

            “I’ll be back soon. To this time, allow my travel. Take me now, let time unravel.

* * *

And here I am, right in front of them. My real mother and father. They gape at me and move apart from their posed position as I stand before them in their living room. I have to admit, I’m pretty stunned myself. I have no idea what to say, which works because what I’m feeling right now cannot be translated into words.

            I look at my mother first. I really do have her eyes. She looks like such a sweet person. I wish so much that I could have grown up with her. Long, dark, wavy hair, soft olive skin, and a small button nose. And my dad—a younger version of Bud, but an older version of me. I actually look like someone—someone who exudes honesty. Nothing like Jet.It hits me hard at this moment when I realize that I have a family.

            “Uh... I’m Gavin.”

            They don’t say a word. They just run over to me and wrap me in probably the biggest hug I’ve ever experienced. No, I take it back, it is the biggest hug I’ve ever experienced. It feels so good. So real.

            My mom buries her face in my neck. She smells like roses mixed with hints of tangerine. “Oh, sweetie!” she exclaims. “You’re beautiful! Beautiful...” She holds me away from her and looks me in the eyes with a big smile. “You have my eyes, just like when you were a baby. I hoped you would!” She places her hand on her belly and hugs me again.

            My dad comes from behind and messes up my hair. My whole body tingles. I want this every day. I want for this moment to never end.

            “I wish I could’ve done this before,” I finally say. “I can’t believe I just found this out.”

            They exchange puzzled glances.

            “You just learned how to travel?” he asks.

            “Yeah! Bud and Estelle taught me yesterday. It’s the coolest thing ever!”

            My mom grabs his hand and they look at each other. Her mood has changed. “That means we didn’t teach you... so... something must have happened to us. We die... don’t we?”