A Bee in Your Bonnet

Start from the beginning

We all know the great lengths a young lady will go in pursuit of a proposal. And apparently she will travel great distances too. Lord Javier Javalera appears to be inching ever so closer to selecting his baroness and to that end has invited our diamond to join him for an excursion at the Bridgerton ancestral home, Aubrey Hall. Country air indeed clears the mind and invigorates the body. Might this be the final gust that pushes the baron over the precipice of a proposal? Of course, the luckless souls remaining in town will have to find new diversions in the absence of their most precious of stones.

The entire Bridgerton family had gathered in the drawing room of Aubrey Hall, which Alina had never been happier for. She enjoyed her time in the city, of course, but there was always something so calming and freeing in the country. Aubrey Hall was absolutely breathtaking and the grounds so well taken care of she felt as if she could get lost for hours in the fields and breathing the freshest of air. Alina smiled as she held Edmund in her arms and bounced him playfully causing the room to fill with his squeals and laughter as she took a seat across from Violet. "Do you think he is old enough for his first sweet?" Alina asked the older woman.

"What do you mean, he's had plenty." Benedict stated turning from the window. Alina raised a brow and stared at him. Benedict looked to his brother's for help, knowing full well it was he and Colin who had snuck the little one a sweet or two while they were left to watch him for a few moments.

"I have never given him any? Who has?" Before she could receive an answer the door to the drawing room opened causing Hyacinth to gasp.

"Sister!" The youngest shouted as Daphne proudly walked in.

"Oh I am so pleased you were able to come." Violet greeted as she stood to greet her eldest daughter. Alina stood and waited her turn to greet the duchess.

"As if I would allow dear Augie to miss out on watching his mother win this little family tradition." Anthony stood beside Alina and placed a gentle hand on her lower back. "Second year in a row, if I might add."

"Charming words from a duchess." Said Benedict.

"A duchess who is still a Bridgerton." Daphne fired back.

"Oh, come and see the baby Eloise." Francesca called to the other side of the room. Eloise sat up and finally placed her book in her lap.

"Why? Has he changed since I saw him last?" Eloise asked without much thought causing her family to sigh.

"He's grown at least an inch, haven't you?" Violet happily took her grandson from Daphne and walked him over to Eloise who stood completely still and kept the baby at arms length from her body. Alina's eyes moved back to the door as Marie stood and held something tightly in her hands with a prominent crest stamped on the back.

"Can you take Edmund?" Alina asked as she turned to Anthony.

"Of course, everything alright?" He asked as he gently pulled his son out of her arms.

"Yes, fine. I will meet you all out in the garden." Without waiting another moment Alina swiftly left the room without notice from the rest of the Bridgerton family. She could feel her heart pounding and it only seemed to get louder with each step and could have been made out of the heaviest metals. Making it into Anthony's office, Alina shut the door behind her and sat behind her husband's desk and as she took a deep breath looked down to the letter and flipped it over to stare at her father's wax seal. 'I can do this...' She thought, her hands shaking slightly as she broke the seal and after taking another breath she began to read her father's perfected writing.

Viscountess Bridgerton,

                I believe congratulations are in order as the news of her sister-in-law's marriage to the Duke of Hastings has reached the ears of Spain. However I must say, I am quite distressed to not have received an invitation to the Bridgerton Ball as now I have taken matters into my own hands as I am to meet Javier's new bride.