Chapter 4

I sat in another window seat at the back of the room in music class. There was an empty chair to my left, but other than that everyone had arrived. Lunched had ended with a satisfied Michelle eating her beloved lunch, only stopping to continue her bickering with Arthur, an amused Elizabeta who kept on watching the two for the entire break and a sweet Lili who came by to say hi. I must admit, it was quite an interesting break. I would definitely enjoy having more of them like this. Anyways, I didn't know anyone in this lesson. Well, there was Francis, but he was fooling around with his albino friend, and I had no intention of approaching him and start a conversation. If he started one with me, I would be okay. But I'm not initiating any dialogues. Scanning the room, I concluded there was nobody interesting in music, apart from the two idiots I mentioned before, and a tall, weird guy wearing a long purple coat and glasses, with an odd brown curl sticking out of his hair. What's up with everyone here having weird features? Well, I'm not exactly normal myself butanyways (but anyways). I was about to take out a piece of paper and start minding my own business, when a certain boy with silvery-blond hair carrying a violin entered the room. 

Yep, Emil was here. 

He looked around and saw the only seat available was next to me. He didn't seem very pleased (rude!), but made his way over to me anyways. As he was doing that, we made eye contact. He started at me and I glared back. We unofficially entered into a staring competition. I was definitely going to win this. I must admit, it was quite a challenge. Knowing my amazing sleep schedule, leading me to stay up late at night reading fan fiction and doing whatever I want really,  I could keep my eyes wide open for an extended period of time. By  the looks of it though, he could potentially be a sleep deprived being just like me. We had been competing for a few minutes, when I realised how close we really were. No, not an "Oh my goodness he's going to kiss me" (note the sarcasm) distance, but too near for my comfort. I guess Emil and I both got closer to each other subconsciously. Helps  glaring, I guess? He apparently realised that too, because he immediately jumped backwards, almost falling off his chair. Upon his realisation, his face become the one of a tomato. I most probably would have had the same reaction if he hadn't moved backwards first. I decided to be petty, just for the sake of it.

"You're blushing", I stated, an innocent smile on my lips.

"Speak for yourself, your face is worse than Antonio's tomatoes." he replied.

"Oh be quiet, you're definitely worse than me!" I exclaimed, smile fading. I felt my cheeks burn slightly. Definitely embarrassment, nothing more.

Was my face really that red? No, it can't be. Look at his! Then again I do have a mirror in my bag, maybe I could check it out for myself, just so to come up with an excuse as to why I was actually blushing. Contorted and confusing logic, I know. But, most importantly: who is Antonio?! 

Just then I noticed the brunette wearing a purple coat start playing the piano on the other side of the room. Had the teacher explained anything at all? While I appreciate glasses guy number two's  (the first one is Alfred) refined music tastes, I wasn't really in the mood to listen to classical pieces I already knew. After five minutes of staring into space, I decided I was officially bored. Why do Haydn's (composer) sonatas have to be this long?! My mind lingered back to the question I had asked myself not long before. Who on earth is Antonio? To satisfy my insatiable curiosity, I had to do the only thing possible: ask somebody. The only problem was, I only remotely knew two people in this classroom, and I surely couldn't just stand up and reach a talking Francis and his friend. That's when it dawned on me. 

My only option was the one and only, Emil Steilsson. I slightly turned my head towards him to see what he was doing. He, like me, was looking extremely bored. He seemed to be blankly staring at his music sheets. I tapped him on the shoulder.

"So, uh, who is Antonio?" I asked.

"What?" he replied.

"The guy you were talking about earlier, you moron! You know, when you said 'your face is worse than Antonio's tomatoes'?" I whisper-yelled.

"Oh. I remember my brother vaguely mentioning him and his love for tomatoes. Lukas was in charge of giving a tour to some of the new students."(I decided to follow the American school system since most readers might be familiar with it, but I know nothing about it. Forgive me for imperfections :') 

"Lukas?"

"My brother, Lukas Bondevik."

Interesting. Emil Steilsson has an older brother. Well, they have different surnames, but I'm not going to ask myself too many questions. In the meantime, glasses guy number 2 had finished his piece. Luckily, as the silence between me and Icelandic boy was starting to get awkward.

"Great job, I feel like you should be teaching instead of me! Roderich Edelstein, you are truly a talented musician. Well, I obviously can't listen to each of you today, and only having an hour a week complicates things. This gave me an idea! Why don't you each get in a pair and duet with your two instruments? Don't worry, since most of you will have to learn a whole new piece to be compatible with your partner's instrument, I'll give you a month of time. I know it's not that long, but it doesn't have to be complicated. Just get with the person next to you, they will be your pair. Oh, since I heard you today Mr. Edelstein, you are exempted." and with that, the teacher concluded his speech.

I turned towards Emil and he turned towards me. We were together for this project? Wait, didn't he play the violin? That is going to make things a lot harder, the piece I had prepared wasn't exactly suitable for a duet. What if he isn't at my level? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he is at a decent level, but I have played the piano since I was little! I'm almost at Roderich's level, if not at par!

"I hope you are decent at playing whatever you play. Which by the way, where is your instrument? You don't have one." Emil suddenly said.

"Well, first of all I am better than the average person, as I have played my instrument since I was quite young thank you very much. Secondly, I play the piano, so excuse me if I didn't bring one today, it's not like there is one on the other side of the room for the pianists of this class. Finally, I should be saying that to you!" I concluded.

"Whatever, I just hope you learn quick. By the looks of it we are going to have to learn a whole new piece, to play together. I don't want to spend more time than necessary with you."

"Well, neither do I."

Now that I think about it, we were going to have to see each other quite often. To practice together.

"Whatever, let's just go. Class has ended. Give me your number and we'll sort it out, I have things to do." Emil said.

"Well, so do I. Anyways, my number is (number), I'll text you later when I have time." I replied.

"If you forget, I'll write to you."

"As if I'd forget."

"Stop being so annoying."

"Stop being so obnoxious."

"Both of you shut up!" someone suddenly said. It was Arthur.

"Since when did you get here?!" both me and Emil exclaimed.

"Well, you did tell me you had music, Y/N, and I wanted to ask you if you were free today. Just to go out and do what friends do. Like drink tea, maybe you could come to my house and I could make some scones." Arthur said.

"Yes, I don't have anything planned. I've never tried scones before." I said.

"Wait, you know him?" Emil asked me.

"Do you know him?" I replied to his question.

"You both indeed know me. I met Y/N in first period. She's one of the few decent people in this school. As for Emil, I was part of a magic club with his older brother Lukas. So get along." Arthur explained.

Interesting. He knows the both of us. Ah well, I'll have the chance to know more about this when I eat his scones later. 

"Let's get going shall we, we're already supposed to be out of this building." Arthur continued.

Emil looked at me, and I looked at him. We then left the classroom, with a certain Englishman rushing us.

A/N: I'm sorry for disappearing :')