Chapter 4

"You're sure?"

"Yes, these are the instructions from the top brass."

"Then, I'll go with them."

"You have other assignments."

Akane bit back the urge to curse, her grip on her phone tightening as she let out a resigned sigh. "Understood, I'll get them." as the call was dropped Akane could only stomp towards the dorm rooms.

She knocked once, then pried open the sliding door. Where a transformed (Y/n) and Itadori were busily arm wrestling. "(L/n)-sensei." Fushiguro greeted with his usual bored manner.

"Huh?" Itadori turned away, allowing (Y/n) to gain an advantage and pin his hand to the table. "Oi! That's cheating!"

(Y/n) jumped from his seat, and did a lap. "I can't hear you over my victory."

"Enough." said Akane. "All of you get dressed, you've got an assignment."

(Y/n) quirked a brow. "Don't you mean "we"?"

Akane shook her head. "I have other matters to attend to." she glanced around, the others did not need to be told twice to get ready. Akane placed a hand on (Y/n)'s shoulder. "I can trust you to handle things on your own, right?"

She already knew the answer, (Y/n) had been making great strides in controlling and regulating the output of his power. But to send him on this assignment...no he'll be fine.

"Of course, mom.' Replied (Y/n). "I won't let you down."

"I know you won't."

"So the person supervising us." (Y/n) began. "If it's not Gojou-sensei and it isn't you, then who is it?"

"I have an idea of who it is." Akane replied. "If it's who I think it is, then you'll be in good hands."

"Are they strong?"

"Find out for yourself." Said Akane.

-|-|-|-|-|-

It was strange. (Y/n) felt sleepy, almost bored even. He'd never felt this way before, and especially not before an assignment. He straightened himself out, doing his best to relieve the tightness in his back.

Maybe it was the weather?

The sky was entirely gray, not a trace of the sun nor the bright blue that anyone would associate with a day of fun. He would always try to take naps during rainy days, but now didn't seem like the time.

"(L/n)-kun, are you with us?" A gangly looking, but well kept man asked him.

"Yes, Ijichi-san." (Y/n) replied.

"I'll keep this brief." He said. "Three hours ago we confirmed the existence of a Cursed Womb. The institution was evacuated, but five people are unaccounted for. Furthermore, if the Cursed Womb were to metamorphose then it may become a Special Grade Cursed Spirit."

(Y/n) lightly shivered at the mention of that word. A Special Grade, the same ranking as Sukuna. In the view of his peripheral (Y/n) could see Fushiguro and Kugisaki's slight apprehension regarding the assignment.

"Eh? Is that bad?" Itadori asked. "I don't really understand all this Grade stuff."

"Hold it in." (Y/n) placed a hand on Kugisaki's shoulder. The only female first year looked as if she was going to chew Itadori's head off. "Yuji, aren't Mom's–I mean, (L/n)-sensei's lessons sticking?"

"Well..." Itadori trailed off.

"(L/n)-kun, why don't you explain to us the ranking system for Curses." Ijichi said. "Consider this a pop quiz for a newcomer like yourself."