Chapter seven

Like a whole week in one day

I must admit that I was wrong. Elliot was in fact no underwater creature, even though it would be awesome if he was (then he could take me out to the mirror-shiny ocean, where the sun dances beautifully across in the last evening rays and show me the fascinating magic of water that only appears when no one is looking).

When we came home from our "stroll" as we called it in front of the rest of the family (they wouldn't believe us anyway, if we told them what was actually lurking in the dark nooks and crannies of London's old streets), with Vanessa in our arms, it appeared to me that fairy tales are in fact just a representation of the wonders of reality - in the sense that it is something we ourselves create, on the basis of what we cannot explain and control...

So, what happened next? Well, Elliot went back to his beloved girlfriend (they are now, one year later, engaged and living happily in the center of London's big streets in a flat - with a sea view balcony, of course).

As for myself, I visit Alfred weekly, the formerly homeless guy, wearing my bright colored rain gear as I thought it would liven up the dark road and his now newly renovated home. I am wearing my Aunt Lissa's knitted hat when the days are cold or when it rains. I had her make me one in navy blue, so that I feel like I'm always carrying a bit of the sea with me.

Not so long ago, he sent me a letter with a picture of Bobby that he took with him. On the collar was engraved an anchor, to memory of our unusual one-day trip. I haven't replied to him yet, but I think I'll send him a picture of my new hat. And so, we left as strangers, strangers who have made a great impression on each other, strangers with memories.

Right now, I just live in the moment, without having to rush through youth, and I don't really have any plans for the future, other than I just want to go somewhere where nobody knows my name. Maybe a peaceful place out at the countryside, where I can paint what I see and exhibit it in a museum. Maybe then I will be able to celebrate it by offering strangers a cup of tea at my new home in blue and green colors and start all over again. And of course, I will invite my grandmother, Aunt Lissy, Talking-Ruth, the Witherspoon family and Uncle Bert too.