The end

Word count: 5,080

It began to bud at the park: my longing

For the soul that was sacrificed at the gate.

He had to have hated the outcome, but I—

I had to come back.

"Here you go, Jocelyn," I say, laying my stack of poems on her desk.

"Ooo, options, thank you! Did you also submit them to the forum?" she asks.

"Yes, I did," I respond, with a smile.

I turn around and walk out of her office back to my desk. There hasn't been a day that I lacked inspiration this past week at work. Every time I sit down to write, I recall bright planets and floating through the solar system. I recall wind in the trees and ponds a thousand feet deep. I recall my love.

One week ago, I arrived at the park entrance. Michael was gone. Henry was gone. I was alone there, but I knew what to do. I knew that I just had to resume where I left off. This "murder" Michael spoke of never happened, the world is intact, and everyone I know is alive. My instinct told me to go on and not wander. I had to return to work; I couldn't wait for Henry to come back or for Michael to explain his murder or why he was so hostile toward me. I knew to start walking back to my apartment. I knew to make myself dinner and go to sleep. I knew to cut myself and bleed the next morning before work. I just knew what to do. Still, all that fills my mind is wonder. Henry must be back at his home, or out with his bandmates. Why hasn't he looked for me? I haven't looked for him because my gut is telling me not to, but I need to see him again. I'm so tempted to find him, but something is telling me not to. I shouldn't go after him. I sit back down at my desk. The work day is over and the office is clearing up, but I don't feel like leaving yet. I want to write more.

Blübe was a world

Purple and bright.

She was our child;

Our child is gone.

I asked for her

And I received

A gift from him—

My one true love.

She was our child

Gentle but grand

Independent—

Eternity.

She truly was our child. She was my thought and his creation: she was ours. We will always be bonded by that world. I don't want that bond to be some distant memory, though. I need to find Henry. I know where to find him, I just don't know what to say. When he asks where I was and why I forced him to come back to this time, I don't know what I'll say. I'll be frozen, I know. But too bad— I need him here with me. I need to hold him and kiss him and hear his voice. I want to stay out here for a bit longer, but then I want to go back to the park with him and be at peace by his side. I love my job and I like getting groceries and keeping to a routine. I like calling my mom and getting lunch at the dining hall. I want to go back to college in the fall, but I want to see Henry now. Maybe we can just exist out here for a while.

I gather my things and turn out my desk lamp. I wave goodbye to Jocelyn and walk out the door. I feel eager and wanting; I can't keep my steps from turning into a small jog after a minute of walking outside. I turn onto the street and walk/jog down the sidewalk. I make four turns and begin running when Henry's apartment comes into view. I draw closer and closer, more and more excited to see him. Once I reach his door, I knock as forcefully as I can. No one answers. I knock again, even louder and faster this time, and a man answers the door.