Chapter Two

(Last reviewed: September 2022)

FIVE HOURS LATER—the sun had nearly disappeared below the horizon when Nora watched the sombre streets of the Grand City flow past her

FIVE HOURS LATER—the sun had nearly disappeared below the horizon when Nora watched the sombre streets of the Grand City flow past her. The last breath of sunlight trickled through the trees outside, engulfing the living room in a disco of light. She couldn't recall when she'd woken from her slumber, sprawled out on the plush couch, thinking that if she could stay there forever then she would.

However, that wish was long forgotten when a knock came at the front door.

Reeling herself back to reality, Nora managed to stumble across the living room, and when she yanked the front door open, every negative feeling she harboured immediately evaporated.

"There's my dovey!"

Nora barely had time to process Fenston's broad, stubbly smile and thinning hair before she was heaved into a tight embrace. With a breathy laugh, she returned the embrace and inhaled that bold, misty cologne that could only belong to Mr Clemonte, her best friend's father and one of the only people she trusted.

"Hey, Fenston," Nora mumbled.

"I can't believe you're staying," Fenston exclaimed, pulling back to in Nora's face. His eyes traced her face with an enthusiasm that matched his groggy smile. "You look lovely. A little tired, but lovely."

"Sorry. I just had a nap. Where's Gordon?"

"He's parked out the front. I thought I'd come along to welcome you," Fenston smiled, slowly moving towards the front door, "and to see your new place! Well, come on, let's get inside!"

Opening the door further to let Fenston inside, Nora found herself chuckling at his thudding footsteps that echoed through the kitchen towards the living room. After merely thirty seconds of standing there, he marched his way up the stairs. She couldn't hide the smile on her face as the villa thudded with every footstep he took above.

As Nora stood there, her eyes fell back to the bay windows where the Grand City thrived outside. She couldn't help thinking how strange it was to have so much space, so much room for her things. How would she fill the empty spaces? She didn't know. She'd been so used to sharing with someone else.

"Well, this is great! It looks just like you."

Nora jumped, seeing Fenston in front of her, examining the high ceiling. He was standing in the centre of the living room with his hands on his hips. It was then that Nora seized the opportunity to really look at him for the first time in years.

Though his boisterous personality was thankfully still intact, Nora quickly noticed Fenston's greying temples, crinkly eyes and wide build. The past six years had not only changed Nora but also someone she cared for greatly, and it made her wonder how much Cami had also changed.

"You alright, dovey?"

Nora looked up to see Fenston's gentle eyes etched into a soft frown. Nora's father always said that it was Mr Clemonte's eyes that were the window to his heart. "Though his body hides much, to really know what that man thinks, one must look into his eyes—his greatest betrayer," her father had once said when she was a young girl.